DSE Raid

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is the shop closed or did they just get a fine??

Last edited:
well they have now seized what? .08% of the corn snakes here in australia?! :)

According to the shop owner (as I have friends who are close to him) the store is under investigation due to the actions of one of its employees. I believe the Amazon will be reopened without much more than a fine, or warning, due to some undersized turts. (That's what I was told, how true it is will have to be seen)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Snakes-turtles-seized-in-raids/2007/08/16/1186857674842.html
Snakes, turtles seized in raids
August 16, 2007 - 6:54PM

Four men have been arrested following the seizure of more than 100 turtles and snakes in a 10-month international operation by wildlife officers and Victoria Police.
Four houses were raided across Melbourne on Thursday for evidence of illegal dealings in native and exotic wildlife.
Officers from the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) teamed up with police to raid homes in Lysterfield, Carrum Downs, Cranbourne and Blackburn.
The four Melbourne men are expected to face charges for a range of offences related to illegally possessing, selling and displaying protected wildlife, specifically reptiles.
A quantity of cannabis plants was also seized from under a Lysterfield house.
Victorian Minister for the Environment and Climate Change Gavin Jennings said Operation Mystic was a large-scale effort involving targeted raids led by 40 officers from across Victoria.
He said the operation was launched by DSE investigators 10 months ago with the help of several interstate and international wildlife agencies.
Snakes, turtles and documents were seized on Thursday, including around 100 turtles, some of which were undersize.
Wildlife officer Glenn Sharp said sufficient evidence had already been gathered over the past 10 months to charge several key offenders for the illegal interstate movement of native wildlife without valid import-export permits.
"DSE is sending a clear message to wildlife dealers and the wider community that commercial wildlife licence holders need to take their responsibilities more seriously," Mr Sharp said.
"We will enforce the law to protect native wildlife from being illegally taken from the wild, exploited for profit or exposed to disease."
In June, wildlife officers seized 10 corn snakes and two Burmese pythons as part of Operation Mystic.
"Corn snakes are prolific breeders while Burmese pythons often carry Inclusion Body Disease (IBD) which has the potential to wipe out Australia's native python population - they are a serious threat," Mr Sharp said.
"We are putting commercial licence holders on notice - any illegal dealing in native and exotic wildlife is a complete betrayal of the trust afforded to these businesses and they will face closer scrutiny."

Another link:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22257190-2862,00.html
0,,5613889,00.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful corn! Such a shame it will be killed.

i went to that shop everyday when i was living down there about 6 years ago...
the blokes who worked there werent too bad to deal with...
but, do the crime, do the time...

I bet a few dodgy pet shops down that way would be in a state of panic at the moment:lol:

if other countries dont have import laws/issues

couldn't DSE sell/give away seized illegal speices to international keepers...
so the animals don't have to be killed

if other countries dont have import laws/issues
couldn't DSE sell/give away seized illegal speices to international keepers...
so the animals don't have to be killed

Corns snakes are worth as little as $50 for a common morph, no O/S keeper is going to folk out the coin to import, any cheap and common reptile, i know atleast in the states there are many animal shelters that deal only with reptiles who struggle to give away common animals!

Look at my posts on illegal reptiles thread. that sums up my opinion on these careless scum.

i went to that shop everyday when i was living down there about 6 years ago...
the blokes who worked there werent too bad to deal with...
but, do the crime, do the time...
6 years??? The shop only been open for just over three years - sure you ment Amazing Amazon .

they should have an added "cruelty to animals" charge in there...
getting caught with them is a death sentance for the animal, and thats the keepers fault not DSE

I still think everyone is jumping to conclusions about the Amazon, I deal with them quite a bit and never had any indication they'd be up to something illegal like this. Perhaps the turts might have been undersized???? Who knows? ..but if that's the only thing they've done wrong it's certainly not their responsibility to be monitoring what their 'reptile' keeping employees get up to in their spare time! (re: selling exotic herps) You'll find they will reopen soon enough (are they even closed????)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back