Any bird/magpie experts around??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There a few recognised colour mutations that pop up in maggies from time to time - Silvers (a dilute form), Albinos and cinnamons (as this bird is).

Yup, a Cinnamon Magpie. It's missing black eumelanin, and the remaining brown eumelanin gives it the cinnamon wash.

:p

Hix

Yup, a Cinnamon Magpie. It's missing black eumelanin, and the remaining brown eumelanin gives it the cinnamon wash.

Hix

Thanks Hix any idea on how common they are or if the trait is inheritable?

If the trait is recessive, then that bird would be a homozygous for that trait. Which means you'll need another homozygous (or a heterozygous) cinnamon to produce more cinnamons. Sorry to get all scientific ;)

If the trait is recessive, then that bird would be a homozygous for that trait. Which means you'll need another homozygous (or a heterozygous) cinnamon to produce more cinnamons. Sorry to get all scientific ;)

Not necessarily, if it is recessive I could cross her with a normal magpie and then breed the offspring which would give 25% cinamons;)

Not that there would be a big market:)

wow thats a cool looking magpie :D
wouldn't it get pecked by the other magpies because its different?

Here's my description and distribution section on Ixodes holocyclus (Paralysis Tick)

Attachments

• Description and Distribution EDITED.doc
    173 KB · Views: 39
Not necessarily, if it is recessive I could cross her with a normal magpie and then breed the offspring which would give 25% cinamons;)

Not that there would be a big market:)

Your right, in theory, but you'd have a hell of a time trying to get offspring to breed together, unless you used individuals from consecutive clutches. Might be easier to breed either the cinnamon (25% of juvies) or one of the heterozygous (50% of juvies....with no way to tell whether your using the hetero or homozygous dominant) back to the homo recessive parent. Of course, you'd have to hope you ended up with a homozygous recessive offspring of the opposite sex to the homo recessive parent......and yeah.....your right, there wouldn't be a big market for them (even though they are seriously smart birds :)).

Very nice angel_saza.....good piece of work.....but......what is it doing in this thread? lol. ;)
I've got to say your a brave person putting your work out for scrutiny, takes guts, but well done with it :)

Thanks Hix any idea on how common they are or if the trait is inheritable?

I've not heard of Cinnamon Magpies before. My guess is they are rare. I have seen a photo of an albino magpie, so they exist too, but again they are rare.

As for heritability of the trait, if the cause is genetic and it's recessive then the scenarios you've suggested would be accurate. However, some mutations are not the result of genetics and are therefore not inheritable.

To illustrate: some years ago I was at a bird show and saw two Masked Lovebirds that were bright red all over - the same red you find on the label of a Coke bottle. I thought it was a spectacular new mutation. A short while leter I bumped into my vet and I asked him if he had seen them. He replied that he had and that it was not a mutation, the breeder had deliberately added to their diet something lovebirds would never encounter in the wild, and this additive turned them red over a period of time. Removing the additive from the diet would result in the irds returning to normal colouration over time.

Hix

Thanks Hix, canary breeders do the exact same to turn yellow canaries red.

I don't know much about canaries, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about a completely different additive.

Hix

Like Rednut, I'm also puzzled as to why it is in this thread?

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back