handling after food ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeman 93

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering how many days should I wait until I can handle my python after a feed

For those that feed outside the enclosure, how do you get the snake back in? I handle mine after feeding to transfer him to his house and he never had a problem, you just have to be careful.

For those that feed outside the enclosure, how do you get the snake back in? I handle mine after feeding to transfer him to his house and he never had a problem, you just have to be careful.

Agreed. you can pick them up and move them about, but be gentle. Generally I'll let them be for a couple of days at which time they've substantially reduced what they've eaten.

I handle them to put them back in their enclosure then leave them until after they have poohed.

i have been told to wait 36 hrs before handling after a feed

Common sense, now that's a good idea.

If I need to handle a snake it doesn't matter when it fed as long as you are careful.

I think this "rule" relates to ppl playing with their snake too much and it makes them spew.

Normal handling of a snake wont bother it IMO.

I was told 36hrs and 5 minutes...but then I decided to use common sense ;)
:lol: that's funny.

if I don't need to handle them I prefer to wait till after they've crapped. I don't like being ******* on :lol: and regurgitation would be just as bad...yuck !!!

I have never had a problem with any snakes being handled in a normal gentle way no matter when they have fed. I am interested in knowing how many owners have had problems like being thrown up on or similar type experiences. I suspect very few have actually had such an experience and are simply doing what somebody has told them or what they may have read somewhere.

I handle him to get him back to his enclosure then I leave him for the whole next day and don't mind handling him again from then on. He usually spends his quiet time undr his lamp, so he doesn't look like he wants to be bothered.

i had a hatchie that would regurg if you even looked at him funny for 2 days after a feed - is fine now its grown though. All my others seem to be fine to handles (not 'played with') once the bump is well down their body - like after 10 minutes or so, and have never given me a prob. Having said that i don't do it with the ones that don't feed well on a regular basis - i don't want to associate a negative experience with feeding... (perhaps that sounds more like training a dog but they do seem to 'remember' certain things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back