Help with Green Tree Frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianna

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have five green tree frogs, all from various people who didn't want them anymore, two of which have developed a strange discolouration of their throats (these two both came from the same place). I have never seen this before and neither has the local reptile vet!

The skin of their throat is completely healthy other than being a dark black/brown colour. It is only on their throat, the rest of the frog has remained the normal colour. The colour first appeared about two weeks ago, and has gradually darkened. I have had those two for over eight months so I don't think that the colour change is a result of stress from the change of environment, or the fact that they now have an UV light which they never had before.
The frogs are what I think is a pretty good weight - 62-63 grams.
The frogs are still eating, swimming, croaking and being quite active.
I have checked the temperature in their cage and it is fine, with good humidity levels.

I have no idea what to do, and the vet wasn't really sure either.

If anybody has any ideas, or knows anyone I should contact that would, or even knows of any other good herp vets near Adelaide, I would be so grateful if they could post a reply or email me.
They seem healthy other than the dark throats, but I love my froggies so I am worried about them! They have such silly and lovable characters!

If I can manage to get a decent photo of their throats I will post it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Brianna

give jason a call at reptile city christies beach, he will be able to passon a vet name who deals with reptiles all the time, he has helped me b4, hope his helps, there is also a vet near anzac highway that deals with reptiles.

Yeah, i agree with JasonL. If you would like to see a vet Dr Trevor Rickman at Salisbury Park Vet on Main North Rd will see them. I've dealt with him with when my frogs had a bacterial infection. He's good :)

I thought it might have something to do with displaying for mating purposes, as it has only occurred in two of the five. The vet didn't think so though. But I think you guys are right! They aren't showing any other signs of illness or anything. I took those two to the vet with another frog that was a bit sick, otherwise I would have just kept an eye on it, but because the vet didn't know what it was, and he used to work for the zoo, and was meant to be good with reptiles and frogs, I got a bit worried, because I thought if it was a normal thing he should know about it!

Thank you very much for your replies, and the suggested vets. Now I know who to go to next time, I wasn't very impressed with the last one!

Thanks again!
Brianna

Have you heard any croaking?
Darker discoloration of the the throat region is normal for males.

Yes, one is definitely a male (he croaks every time he thinks I have the TV too loud) and the other I am pretty sure is a male.
I thought that it must be a breeding season kind of thing, but after the vet told me it was not normal I started to get worried.
Now I am thinking that it was the vet who was not normal! hehehe
Thank you for the reassurance, I am glad my froggies are okay!
Brianna

the vet was right, its not normal, well not for most of the year lol. JasonL knows his stuff so i wouldnt worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back