Turtle Size limits

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you have not answered my question, did you not read my last post? I accept your argument on a blanket 10cm rule on all turtle species. I still think there should be a minimum age. Tell me why there shouldn't be?

To be perfectly honest I actually didn't bother reading your last post. Felt it was unnecessary.
There shouldn't be a minimum age because:
Because all individuals are not the same. Some thrive and some don't. There are also runts in some litters that are dominated by others that may take much longer to become established. That is then up to the breeder to do the right thing and hold these individuals back until well established. Some grow much quicker at an astounding rate. These should be allowed to be sold earlier. If purchased from a breeder and not a shop the breeder can have personal follow ups with all customers and give out the correct information. I grant it that there are those that just want to make a quick buck but soon their reputation will precede them and people will shy away from buying from them. Honest breeders with morales and principles are the ones doing the right thing by the industry and care for the animals they sell. I cannot say the same for petshops as I have heard a lot of strange information and excuses coming from inexperienced staff.

I for one like to see the final aquarium set up before finalising any transaction. If advice is given and not accepted i don't deal with that person. I also offer backup service to anyone who has purchased from me or even if they haven't purchased from me as the turtles are the most important thing.

Regards,

Craig

how can someone who may breed over 100 turtles per year keep them all back for a year or so. It doesnt make sense why they can be sold once established

The problem i still see is that like you say not all breeders are as responsible as you are. I would imagine that pet shops would make this problem far worse.

I still think that having a regulation on the age of these animals would go someway to stop turtles dieing when they don't need to.

how can someone who may breed over 100 turtles per year keep them all back for a year or so. It doesnt make sense why they can be sold once established

Hey everyone

I am in this position

I breed turtles

i breed lots of turtles around 50 or so a year

under the current laws i have to get them up to 10 cm before i can sell them

its stupid
My 2 month old turtles are as hardy as my 5 year olds

however this is not the problem

i spoke to a few mates that run pet shops down here who sell turtles

one of which was just in the media lol , anyway it is common knoledge that almost ALL adult long necks are wild caught

why would a pet shop breed turtles and keep them for a year

because of this the wild turts are going breeders only get around 40 bucks for a 10cm long neck down here to pet shops so you can see why these restrictions NEED TO be lifted

i support the true turtle keepers comments on this thread.

ps
in case you are thinking, i have never and will never sell wild caught

What makes you think it would need to be a year? My whole point is that they do need to be well established before they are sold. I think they need to be alot bigger than a hatchy. How ever big they need to be to cope with sub standard conditions that might arise when a new keeper gets their hands on them.

for 10cm a year is about average as far as i know

According to Expansa it varies from species to species and anyway i do think that most species would not need to be that big to handle themselves. I don't know what size they would need to be, but i do know that two out of three people i know that had bought turtles at a really small size lost them within the first months of purchasing them. I do not beleive it would have happend if they were bigger.

I'm all for an age limit rather than a size limit and i agree that for some species 10cm is ridiculous if its for the turtles sake- also because may captive turtles are kept in tanks indoors and the 10cm rule promotes ignorant people sentencing a turtle thats already too big to a life in a 2 foot tank...
which makes me think maybe that, rather than size limits, the DSE should be enforcing some sort of training course in reptile care before giving out licenses to any idiot that has the $$$ but no, that would be far far to sensible for them...

I think they should ban ppl from buying puppys because they grow bigger and stupid ppl can buy them.

its an interesting issue

what also is bad is buying not common turtles
like broad shelled and saw shelled

cause we cant buy hatchies we have to pay big bucks for adults which is not fair

Change is on the way

herd it straight from the horses mouth todya

Wowzers 10cm in a year! Sounds like overfeeding too me lol
My little dudes are coming up to 8cm at 3 years of age, nice black shells and healthy.

Anyways my 2c...

Some people like having an animal from a young age and seeing it grow. I think it is a stupid to base a law on a misconception.

If only we could have kids after they have finished pooing on everything....

My issue is that many pet shops fail to mention to (idiot)customers that a 'Penny Turtle'becomes the size of a dinner plate.Little turtles look cute and are bought on an impulse. IMO Turtles should only be sold by licenced breeders who can give proper information to customers than the bull***t that petshops tell them.I should know as I work in a wildlife hospital and am continually getting calls from morons who want to see if we can take their turtles as they didnt realise how big they got.So in a nutshell I think most (apart from pails ect that give good advice)petshops should not sell turtles.

p.s. Expansa, I think you do a brillant job, and many people I know speak very highly of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back