poweraid to herps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ace#74

Reaction score
someone said that they mix poweraid with water and its suposed to get lizards that don't eat to eat id like to no more about this it sounds pretty interesting cheers:D

lol. I wonder what made them think of doing that.

don't no but its been anoying me all avo if its ture or not any more opinions out there

Could it increase their metabolism, making them more hungry?

Their is usually an underlying cause for why a lizard isnt eating so it sounds more like bandaiding a more serious problem which could later cause more harm.

it was posted on a theard about a baby beardie that wouldnt dont know if it worked or not

isn't powerade all sugar and salt? can't imagine that's too good for little beardies

I know it’s a bit off-topic, but they sell special ‘Doggie Powerade’ at Solly’s Warehouse here. I laugh each time I see it… Only reason I laugh is because my dogs prefer Gatorade a whole lot more than Powerade when they need to “put back in what the sweat takes out” after a big walk :lol:

Unless they like the flavour i think its prob along the same lines as soaking in honey water - as has been used for thorny devils- get some sugar into them and hype them up so they will eat.... may work but id go with a manuka honey soak... at least you know it wont hurt them and it helps hen my jacky dragon wont eat for long periods...
don't overdo either - im not sure that reptiles are adapted to getting large hits of refined sugar...

As far as electrolytes go - perhaps in elite athletes in endurance sports they are useful but most people don't need Gatorade...let a lone reptiles who im pretty sure don't sweat!

Electrolytes :) Those kind of drinks are designed for a humans metabolism. I would be worried it might throw a lizard (or dogs) system right out? I doubt a lizards salt/sugar balance is the same as ours....
But I am no doctor/vet :)

Kim

Great for Sand Goanna's, gets an extra 20k/h out of them! Dragons sometimes suffer low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia), can make them loose muscle control ect. It is used a quick fix and preventative. I have never used it myself.

It can be used in an emergency for quick rehydration if your stuck. It's very similar to veterinarian products like spark or lectade but I wouldn't expect the high glucose content is something a snake could tolerate much of.

someone may have jsut stumbled upon a appetite stimulant. e.g. diazapam for cats

Do they get it in the wild?
Why should they get it in captivity?
If they're not eating you should investigate the reason/s and fix them.

Do they get it in the wild?
Why should they get it in captivity?
If they're not eating you should investigate the reason/s and fix them.

thats going slightly overboard.

1. these arent wild animals.
2. the are many things we give them to optimise there health in captivity that they would never get in the wild. e.g. antibiotics, probiotics, calcium suppliments, vitamin suppliments.

and in investigating the reasons it is not eating, no one has said that it is simply curieng a symptom of something worse but an animal that does not eat will not recover. especially in a lizards case where their metabolism works at a higher rater then say a snakes.

for example. say you simple have a wildlife case come to you for care it intially had a epidermal fungus and was treated for such by a vet. the treatment was successful. but due to the lizard not eating it has become malnurished and therefore does not feel well. therefore doesn't behave normally, e.g. sunning itself for optimal body temperature. if a sports drink worked to get this lizard to eat by itself then yes it could be used rather then force feeding as force feeding is very stressful on the animal. and then it would regain energy and the recovery process begins.

now i am not saying that useing a sports dirnk works at all for i woudlnt' have a clue whether it did or not. but lets not criticise it without knowing any evidence

cheers
H.

n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back