spencers monitors wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fantastic enclosure- how do you find the ceramic heaters? - i was told they'd get too hot but they do seem like a good idea - also because i have had some bad luck with infra red spots blowing and shattering - think i got a bad batch. I want to make mine a new enclosure-im amased by how active they are and i noticed yours it quite tall - do you find height an advantage - mine seem to climb a bit- or would i be better to aim for a pit style cage - i was thinking of converting a double wardrobe like i am doing for my new diamonds but im not sure if they use the height, also they seem to be quite reckless and almost find it fun (dare i say) to plumit off their logs. im worried if i make it too tall they'll go splat. would a half height wardrobe be better?
thanks for your help
laura

Go for halogens, ceramics are crap for basking spot(they are good for general heating such as 24/7 heat).

yes, the ceramic's should not be used for primary heating, the one in my enclosure is on 24/7 during winter, the spotty is on during the day for basking. For night heating they are great, they last almost forever, but the downside is you don't know if they are on and working so you need to check them every now and then. They are extremely hot so make sure the lizards cannot touch them ever. These guys love the height and climb all over the place, a fall from the height of my enclosure would not effect them at all. Monitors are Tonka tough!

Have you tried raw chicken mince? My spencer Sumo dosnt seem particulary interested in crickets or woodies, so I tend to offer them as a treat, he daily, or every second day feasts on chicken mince and the odd velvet mouse (dosn't touch rat pinkies at all!)

will try chicken tonight! thanks i haven't tried it before so it will be interesting. i will be putting in some mere lights today too. the new tank is in the works for when my veterinary exams are over in a a few weeks.... btw i got told the only way to sex these guys is by x ray - is that true? thanks so much
laura

How'd the chicken mince go?! I've been told as juvies they're hard to sex and an x-ray can be called upon to find out for sure. other than that, I'd imagine as with most reptiles, a few people could sex them by sight if they knew what they were doing. don't know for sure though. Im pretty sure that mine is a male - just going by what I was told when I got him, other than that, I'l just wait it out and see. I'm not overly concerned about breeding - sumo is just my pet!

Hi Laurascharm,have you got your spencer's eating again?
I am having trouble with mine and just wondering if i just have a little shi! of a lizard or if it is common for some spencer's to go long periods with any food.

i got them going once i got the temps up although it took a wide range of foods... mine go buts over live fuzzy mice although i try not to do (last resort when they wont eat) it so you may want to try that... but how are your temps? have they got places to hide?

They have lots of hides and i have the temp up high,any higher and i think i will cook them.I have done everything other members have said to do.I have offered them every food item i can think off including live foods.

How often do yours eat?

thanks for your reply.

they would take food 3 x a day if i gave it to them! try chicken (warmish)... kitten food... meal worms all worth a try

im trying....
ummmm
nope all out of ideas... hows his weight looking and how long has he not been eating?

His weight is good he has a good sized tailbase,no bones showing he seems to be healthy.
He eats about every ten days and all he will eat is turkey meat about the size of a day old pinkie mouse.

I have just about given up on him,will just have to wait i suppose.:rolleyes:

i got them going once i got the temps up although it took a wide range of foods... mine go buts over live fuzzy mice although i try not to do (last resort when they wont eat) it so you may want to try that... but how are your temps? have they got places to hide?

I use dead mice and drag it around the enclosure by the tail with tongs, that gets them exited though they usually will take it not moving, I like to make them earn it!

His weight is good he has a good sized tailbase,no bones showing he seems to be healthy.
He eats about every ten days and all he will eat is turkey meat about the size of a day old pinkie mouse.
I have just about given up on him,will just have to wait i suppose.:rolleyes:

Keep an eye on his tail tip, the fine bones in the end of it's tail may go soft due to lack of calcium and he may loose the tip.

I am keeping an eye on his tail tip and the rest of him.

I have him in the snake room (quietest room of the house) thinking it may be stress because all he does is huff and puff,he act's like he is ten foot tall;).Would it be worth handling him a little bit to try and lower his stress levels? or would it make him worse,or move him into a front opening cage he is in a top opening cage at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back