Just Hit a Possum! :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sxc_celly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hay guys.

Im so upset, my boyfriend (whom ive been with for 2.5yrs) just took me for a ride in his new car, and he hit a possum. Poor thing just ran out in the middle of the road. Swerved but to no avail. We did a U turn as soon as we could and pulled over. I had to go back to see if the poor thing was still alive, if not see if it had anything in its pouch, and if not that then at least move it off the road so nothing else gets hit. God i was devestated, i just burst out crying, its the first time ive been in the car and we've hot something. Poor thing. It was dead - didnt stand a chance, luckily it was instant. No babies (was a male) so i picked him up and moved him off the road about 5metres back, placed him down and said "we're sorry mate". God its just devestating. I would have done the same thing for any animal, even a cat, no animal deserves to be left behind if they could still be alive or carrying young. I was always taught to check if its still alive, if not check females pouches, and then move the body off the road so no other animal scavenging gets injured. What do you guys think?

Cel

We just had some jerk swerve to hit one about 2hrs ago, poor thing lost an eye.

Thats terrible. People like that should have been removed in evolution...

I wouldnt get too concerned it was an accident and theres plenty more where it came from... keep your chin up.

I also think swerving for wildife is generally stupid and dangerous(trying to avoid or kill it)

Take it home and feed it to one of your snakes

I know your right lol. It was just such a shock at the time. It was such a beautiful animal. I was just devestated. But going back and checking that it wasnt alive, didnt have any babies, and moving it off the road gave me closure lol. I just felt so much better. Does that make sense lol?

Yep, it sucks. The worst I have felt was when I hit a wombat when we were out driving around spotlighting. Bloody thing was the first thing we saw as it ran under my car. It weighed about 30kg and was in shock for a few hours before it died. I felt bloody awful. I've also hit a bandicoot, that felt pretty average as well. And I've found two dead tuans (brush tailed phascogales) onn the road around my place in the last year. But don't beat yourself up too much, it happens. It sucks, and you feel crap, but it was an accident after all. 100 years ago dingoes were the main predator, now its the holden. :(

No i couldnt do that. Its too big anyway lol. My snakes are only 5ft lol. Dont know where its been or what it could have either. I just couldnt do it either, I was happy leaving it off the road, and saying "we're sorry mate".

there is a pig hunter person down the road and he chucks possums in with his dogs!! and yes i have rang up the rspca but they said u need photo proof.... and i aint jumpin the fence to be eaten lol.

How do you know? Id be contacting them again, and saying that youve seen it (if you have) and that you cant get a photo because you will be on personal property and that its their responsibilty to resolve cruelty to animals! Keep trying and persisting!!

i know because i hear it and have seen it!! its either possums or dark cats ive seen! kinda evil really ill get mum to ring maybe they will listen to a adult.

Hey SXC-Celly, I live near a state park over the years we have hit many kangaroos, wallabys etc. It's always a shock and I never handle it. Animals are unpredictable and do the silliest things to try and escape the car and often head back towards it. Remember it was an accident and it is never safe to swerve. The fact that you were upset by it just shows what a good person you are. the best thing is that it was over quick. I have turned around and gone back to find the animal has gone. I know it's gone off somewhere and is in pain and I hate that more.

iv seen a truck swerve to hit a turtle, poor turtle, thier was nothing left of him :(

Winner of the 2006 "Its not my job" award.

Attachments

• DeadPossum.jpg
    DeadPossum.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
sad to hear what happened, but these things happen so quickly and at least you had the common sense to check out the situation and move the poor little fella off the road....... R.I.P. little possum

i used to live out the back of mt cotton, and have hit a couple of wallabies over the years. it always sucks but at the end of the day an animal is very unpredictable and accidents happen.

you did a good thing by getting the corpse off the road, but there was nothing more you could do so i wouldn't be too worried mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back