unidentified species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elapid@

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
[View attachment 27745
unidentified[SIZE=+0] species[/SIZE]

found in Portugal about 70 years ago bought back to australia given to me by my grandmother
she gave this to me before she past away and know one could tell her what it was. it was inbedded in a rock face in a crevices on the side of a cliff by the sea .she said that it was as petrified as is when she found it and she kept it in a glass cabinet for 70 years then gave it to me 5 years ago and till this day know one can tell me what it is. ive sent photo's to museums and marine biologist and still cant work out what it is. They said send it to them but theres know way im going to part with it as its sentimental. its not a salamanda or a flying fish it has a vertebrate and tail like fin also it has rows of sharp teeth also has sharp thawns all over its body.also has two wings and two hand with 5 fingers like bat wings. im assuming it was some type of scavenger on the sea floor but also reptile like. its a real weird creature and great to look at.
i will get more photo's of full body.
cheers steve.

Last edited:
now THAT is cool. More photos would be excellent. :)

it was made before faces were invented.

it's so old it doesn't need a face.

really though that is awesome

maybe it is a prehistoric form of a sting ray or something (just a wild stab in the dark) different angled pics would be good
maybe your grnadmother made it just to trick the world one last time before she left us lol

another pic

sorry my computers real slow as im only on dial up.
hope this can help a bit more i will send more over the next hour.
View attachment 27746

Last edited:
whatever it is its scary looking!! i'd hate to be its prey!

errr, any budding paleotologists here?
If you took it to a muesum, let them know you were coming, stayed within sight of it and make it clear you werent leaving without it, do you reckon anyone would try to identify it for you?
Send them pic beforehand, and go somewhere big, like melboune museum....?

full body shot

this is a full body shot from a birds eys view.
i try not to touch it and i keep it in a air tight glass tank.View attachment 27761
away from light.

Last edited:
I'd say the "wing" is actually a fin.
looks like some kind of prehistoric fish species - early fish were bone armour plated (spiney too)
Ostracoderms & Placoderms were the first fish, common in the Devonian
could even be an early chondrichthyes (sharks & rays)
then again could even be a type of eel - hard to say from just photos

Last edited:
they are wings, you have got yourself a petrified angel! :D

seriously though, if you find out what it is be sure to tell us.

im being 100% serious when i say this, but too me it looks kind-of like a dragon, or as lozza said, a prehistoric amphibean.

Take it to a museum or at least ring one maybe they have someone that can come out to your house and take a look.

Mrs I

I reckon its a skate with its flaps cut off,only the 2 near the tail left.

i have already show'd the museums photo's and they couldn't tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back