Sick Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just needing some advise! I have two young Murray short necked turtles, living in a 4 ft tank. They have been really happy and healthy up until now. One of them has stopped eating and is just sitting on the dock all the time. When I pick him up he is limp and wont attempt to swim. I'm really worried as this has been going on for a couple of days and there hasn't been any improvement. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Is there any sign of fungus? could you post pics? Also what have you been feeding it? Has it been getting UV?

There is no apparent fungus (but then again I've never had to deal with it before), he is getting plenty of UV, and I am feeding him a mixture of pellets, frozen blood worms, and shrimp. It's weird because the other guy is doing fine, and they are both getting the same everything!

Attachments

• P1040715.JPG
    P1040715.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 127
  • P1040705.JPG
    P1040705.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 100
  • P1040704.JPG
    P1040704.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 101
its prob time to go see a vet i'm afraid...
it could be anything.... they get a range of diseases just like us.
until then you may want to consider moving his friend out (in case it is infectious) and making sure he is nice and warm. whatever you do try not to stress him as this may make things worse.
good luck
laura

Thanks laura,
Anyone know a good vet for reptiles around Newcastle?!

Bad news guys... I took the little guy to the vet. He got very stressed and has now passed on.
It's a sad day...:cry:

Mimmy,
Sorry to hear your bad news. Sadly, I could predict that from the photos. Once they get to the stage where they cannot pull their head in or keep their eyes open anymore, they generally do not live much longer.
However, sometimes they can pull through and get better.
It is important now to take precautions to make sure the same thing does not happen to your other turtle.
Your diet of pellets, frozen blood worms and shrimp will not help. None of these foods are part of a natural diet. The pellets can clog up a turtle's digestive system, the blood worms offer virtually no nutrition and the salt in shrimp can cause renal failure (Australian turtles cannot process salt).
Looking at your pictures, the grey skin, brown shell colour, overlapping scutes and excessive shell growth (i.e. where the green algae cannot keep up with the rapid growth of each carapace shield) are all indicators of an incorrect diet and therefore an unhealthy turtle.
My advice is to chuck away the commercial food and switch to a natural diet: Freshwater fish, freshwater prawns, freshwater snails, freshwater shrimp, freshwater yabbies and freshwater plants are all part of a normal and healthy diet.
Regards,
Michael.

Last edited:
Thanks guys... the vet didn't really know what was wrong. He said he looked healthy enough, however he gave him a 'precautionary' shot of vitamin A and E, and gave me some dermatological dog shampoo to wash him in.
Thanks for the advice on the diet- I'll implement it straight away

Im not really sure if it may be a sign of some sort of problem, but i have never seen algae on such a small turtle before.

It would be a good idea to post a pic of your setup to make sure everything is right. As with all animals some can just die especially when they are young.

Which vet did you take him to?

Mimmy sorry to hear of your loss!

Is there any possibility that the turtle could have swallowed a pebble from the substrate or one that has fallen off the turtle ramp?

I agree with Michael except for the pellets not breaking down in a turtles digestive system. Turtles in the wild consume berries, nuts, fruits and whole small Mussels and the best pellets start softening as soon as they hit water. Good pellets contain many vitamins and minerals that most diets lack. As I have always mentioned, a variety of food items is the best way to go. Some turtles in the wild eat small fish for their whole lives and thrive. Stomach flushes in particular that the Qld EPA have done as well as John Cann can confirm this.
Regards,

Craig

Thanks guys,

I took him to a vet in Hamilton- near Newcastle. Thanks everyone for all the advise- it seems everyone has different opinions about everything! I'll try a change in the diet with some freshwater prawns etc and hopefully he takes to them ok.
I guess the other little guy may have swallowed something- but how do you tell? I have large pebbles on the bottom, and there are some small rocks on the landing dock.
I don't know what it was that killed him! i'm so worried something will happen to the other one too, so once again- thanks to everyone for the advise.

that happened 2 one of my long necks once
i got new uv lights and started feeding him a bigger range of foods shrimp, fish, worms,crickets,more worms etc
and eventually he got better.............sorry 2 hear bout ur turtle-best animal of all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back