Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that info steve. I noticed last night in the last Reptile Australia magazine the article by Brian Lazell and had a read. Interesting stuff. If I was going to get some elapids, the paleheads and stephens banded snakes would be right up high on the list :D

I dont intend on getting bitten if bitten you probably start to develop double vision start sweating and have breathing difficulty,get server headache and muscular weakness.
they are neurotoxic, they use tiger snake antivenom and depending on the invenomation the initial dose is 3000 units. There average venom yield is 1.66 mg

cheers steve

Thanks! I couldn't remember how dangerous these guys are, so I figured I'd ask.

I put my pair in together today and they mated straight away. excellent :)
My Female is at least 3 times thicker than the male, and around 2 times as long, its amazing they can even mate.

I have been advised by the previous owner that they should be put together around now, however I have also read that in the cooler climates they should be put together as early as july.

Have also read that although limited studies show numerous components in the venom that could be dangerous, that the predominant effect is defibrination coagulopathy, as demonstrated by people who have actually been bitten. Apparently life threatening.

I think they are amazing, my male is climbing all over everything and is very active and great to watch, he seems to have a ambush pose going on as well, he positions himself on a branch or ledge and hangs about one third of his body and head down, very much like GTP does.

I was told also by the previous owner, and from some reading, that heating is not required if your snake room experiences moderate temps, i would say if you room experiences mins of not much below 10-15 degrees and not much above 30 degrees, with averages of between 20-30 during the warmer months, heating would not be required. Alot of people belive failed matting attempts and still born young are the result of over heating the gravid female. Worth mentioning mine have been active all night and still today, and the temps last night were 18, today so far 23. So they dont seem to mind the cooler temps.

thats awesome news, i dont intend on getting bitten but i like the fact that they can defend themselves with a bite. They deserve a lot of respect and with a lot of care i hope mine will turn into a healthy mature snake.
I hope it all goes well for you and will definitely stay in touch.
cheers steve.

Yeah they do have that kind of skeletal look. they are definitely got some good features about them.
I have been thinking what i will name him and as he dose have that skeletal look i will name him skelator.
thanks dee.

Skeletor is an excellant name, another name to consider if you're interested in that kind of thing (and have seen tha movie) would be punisher!!!
Cheers,
Dee.

couple of guys i know have been whacked by paleheaded snakes,one only got swelling on the affected limb that was brian who was previously mentioned .
and the other who is of slight build i mite add ,experienced headaches and nausea,and stayed under observation in hospital but other than that no probs.
lovely little snake though

I dont intend on getting bitten if bitten you probably start to develop double vision start sweating and have breathing difficulty,get server headache and muscular weakness.
they are neurotoxic, they use tiger snake antivenom and depending on the invenomation the initial dose is 3000 units. There average venom yield is 1.66 mg
cheers steve
Where did you get that info from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back