what's the best fencing material for a turtle pond?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

welzii

Reaction score
anyone have any ideas? i'm beginning to get my turtle pond up and going but this is an area i'm stuck on. any suggestions would be great.

thanks.

Wire is usually OK. Dig it into the ground so they cannot dig under it.

Other materials work as well. It depends on the species and size of the turtles.

What type of turtles are you trying to fence in?

Great climbers if they can get a foothold so keep that in mind. A meter high chicken wire fence is not much of a problem for some breeds.

Turtles can climb wire and other stuff you think they cant, even if they dont escape there is a chance they will fall and hurt themselves. Anything smooth will work good, but an avairy is better so you can keep lizards aswell.

yeah I found out they are great climbers first hand!!!! wont make that mistake again
what I always tell people is if your gonna have wire have it on an angle inwards of about 45-50 degrees (not celcius) so they cant reach up and start climbing it if that makes sense, but make sure they cant climb it cos if they land on their backs and its a sunny day, their gonna be in a bit of trouble

What about tin or brick at the bottom and then wire from a certain height upwards. You'd be surprised how much they will try to climb, and he falls at a decent height and lands on his back it could prove hazardous. I would be using a non wire product around the bottom, just high enough that they can't reach up. I know you won't want to spoil the look of the enclosure with a non-see through fence but you still need to consider safety for turtle, too.

I do voluntary work at wildlife park with the reptiles and I was surprised just how far a hungry turtle will try to stretch and climb to get the food. He has glass fence around him but has a rock feature at one end where he tries to climb. Its not tall enough for him to hurt himself but he is always falling backwards, working overtime to catch the food out of my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back