how do snakes incubate eggs in the wild?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesr

Reaction score
hey
well i just wanted to know about snakes incubating eggs in the wild
like where do they lay them and how do they keep them warm?
its just a simple question that ive been thinking about and i didnt know the answer
thank you

they curl up around them and "shiver" to create heat to keep them warm....

they use existing burrows made by other animals, or in loose soil under logs and rocks etc etc.....

can i recommend a book for you to read? and anyone else for that matter!!! its great!!!!

Australian Snakes: A Natural History
By Richard Shine

well worth the money i believe!

you can get it at most good bookshops or at www.mikeswanherpbooks.com.au

have you read it yourself?
maybe ill just read a bit from the net or the library
and save $35 lmao

lol $35 is not alot.... i havent read the lot yet, but i do own a copy and am slowly reading it.... (im not a big fan of reading, but its a great read)

yeah I finished that book a couple of weeks ago,
its a really good read and gets into the nitty gritty of all aspects of snakes.
and yeah $35 for a book with that much info is pretty dam good!!!
it's well worth the money and time to read

haha yeh i dont mind that
but
i prob will never get around to reading it anyway (readings not my biggest interest haha)
ill might get it thanks for telling me about it:D

Hi guys, this is an interesting topic cos I'm definitely not intending on breeding my snakes for commercial reasons.... I will b more than happy breeding them once every two year and will b happy to let them incubate their egg's on their own...

Sorry jamesr, didn't mean to steal u'r post but do like how u titled it........ Ya so, have any of u let the mother do her job???If u have,then what kind of substrate have u used??? Do u make an effort to keep a certain humidity, etc,etc and etc..... I do have a commercial incubator(a small one) but would much rather let her, take care of the eggs... Please do let me know..... cheers

G/B.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back