sexing shortneck turtles (pics included)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dano85

Reaction score
hi can some one tell me what sex my turtles are?
One is 8.5cm and the other is 5cm-shell length or are they still to small?
DSC00048.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

Too small to tell....mature females are usually larger than males. Mature males have a noticeably longer tail than females.

there cloaca (bum) is near the end of th tail in males
and the females is more towards the base of tail.
your second pic is hard to tell tho,could be a male too

He he i'd like to know about turtle sexing too actually, cause i'm getting two long-necks on Friday! Very excited!

you carnt sex long-necks until they are mature,and still hard then

expansa1 and eastern snake neck are the experts when it comes to turts talk to them

my females have just as much concave as some of my males ?
how eles can u tell?

the anal shields on the plastron will form either a v or a soft curve and the tail length will vary for starters.

the anal shields on the plastron will form either a v or a soft curve and the tail length will vary for starters.

yeah... if its a sharp 'V' then its a male, and if its more of a curve its female.
I think its curve for female so its easier for them to lay there eggs, because if it were a 'V' the anal plate would be in the way...so to speak (I know thats for eastern long-necks, but not sure if it applies for other species...I would assume so)

Hi Brettix,

Email me some photos taken from the back of the turtles with a straight edge going across the plastron at the point where the two anal shields meet the two femoral shields.

See attached photo for an example.

Regards,
Michael.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Plastron View.jpg
    Plastron View.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back