Disgust for Petshops.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thread where people made aquastions that were unfounded.

Is that a clever little pun thrown in there because people are talking about water bowls or just a lucky mistake :lol:

this i my first post on here and all i can say is be educated about the species before u get on a public forum and have a go at people about what u have seen.
Actually liberty, I hate to pull you off your high-horse here, but this person who started the thread does know that T's aren't meant to be housed on bark chips, scorps are meant to have deep substrate, scorps are not meant to have cotton-wool in their water (as it harbors mould and fungi). T's and scorps are both not meant to be under bright fluro lights either... So that's that settled. It seems to be you that needs to 'be educated about the species'.

Futhermore, yes pet-shops do crappy stuff to their scorps and Ts... But that's because they're on display. If they gave them the proper husbandry requirements, both the Ts and the scorps would burrow and never be seen. Why would someone buy something they can't even see? They also overprice things like crazy because if they didn't, their business wouldn't thrive.

It's not a good thing, but it is the reason, I think

Last edited:
Pick your pet shops and avoid the bad ones!

There are 3 pet shops in my area, 2 of which are in a mall and are staffed by well-meaning, but largely uneducated juniors. I'd never buy an animal or supplies in them. The third shop is run by people who breed dogs and herps and have extensive backgrounds in animal husbandry and vet nursing. They give great advice, keep their animals very healthy and carry an amazing range of supplies. Stick to shops like that one and you won't have to be frustrated!

hey guys thought i might shed some light on the topic, cos I work at a petshop and we keep scorps, bird eaters and centipedes.

now the reason wool is put in water bowls is scorpions dont drink from open water, espescially from a water bowl that they might fall in to, and besides, they should hardly ever drink from the bowl wool or not because the substrate should be damp enough that they can gain moisture from it.

for the 2mm of substrate, we use about 2-3cm. this is because as stated we dont want them to burrow, and then reck their burrow when we wnat to show them to people. so we place pieces of cork, flat rock or hide rocks in their so they have a burrow that we can still access.

and for the substrate, a variety of substrates can be used, because scorpions live in varied environments, but what we find best is coco-peat or peat-moss. this holds moisture, allows heat to pass thru from the heat mat, and the scorpion can 'dig' thru it

we try and have the best conditions for our animals, and also give the best advice. So I hope this thread just doesnt give the impressions that all pet shops are just un-educated money hungry people

cheers, Matt

hey guys thought i might shed some light on the topic, cos I work at a petshop and we keep scorps, bird eaters and centipedes.

now the reason wool is put in water bowls is scorpions dont drink from open water, espescially from a water bowl that they might fall in to, and besides, they should hardly ever drink from the bowl wool or not because the substrate should be damp enough that they can gain moisture from it.

for the 2mm of substrate, we use about 2-3cm. this is because as stated we dont want them to burrow, and then reck their burrow when we wnat to show them to people. so we place pieces of cork, flat rock or hide rocks in their so they have a burrow that we can still access.

and for the substrate, a variety of substrates can be used, because scorpions live in varied environments, but what we find best is coco-peat or peat-moss. this holds moisture, allows heat to pass thru from the heat mat, and the scorpion can 'dig' thru it

we try and have the best conditions for our animals, and also give the best advice. So I hope this thread just doesnt give the impressions that all pet shops are just un-educated money hungry people

cheers, Matt

If the scorp doesn't drink from the wool, there is no advantage to having it in there. It's just a breeding ground for nasties.

As for substrates, you should always try to find out what substrate that scorp lived on naturally. I've seen yaschenkoi's housed on moist peat, and rainforest scorps on sand!

The heat mat should not be on the floor of the enclosure. When scorps get too hot, they burrow down to escape heat. If the heat mat is there, they'll just get hotter and hotter and cook themselves.

Just some friendly advice:D As for pet-shops being money hungry businesses... They are. Every business is money hungry.. they have to be! You think it actually costs $120 bucks to euthanase a dog? Hell no it doesn't. That surcharge goes to feeding hospitalised animals, staff wages etc etc... People must understand that petshops are businesses, and so cannot provide 100% of the care the scorps etc deserve. They give them the bare minimum til they're bought and a new owner can give them the full deal.

I have never kept scorps before so i am going by what i have read, i DO keep T's though and know how to keep them. And THANKYOU PhilK for defending me. Also they used Blakc sand for the rainforest sp whick cannot hold moisture and the cotton wool did not appear to be wet at all.

Thanks.

I'm disgusted with the fact that pet shops sell stuff to make money!

They should be doing for the love of animals.... and people. All the animals and products should be free! Except all the people who are using the product for wildlife care, they should pay.... maybe even subsadise the cost for everyone else.

You all disgust me!

I have never kept scorps before so i am going by what i have read, i DO keep T's though and know how to keep them. And THANKYOU PhilK for defending me. Also they used Blakc sand for the rainforest sp whick cannot hold moisture and the cotton wool did not appear to be wet at all.

Thanks.

I think everyone needs to hold onto their moisture!

If the scorp doesn't drink from the wool, there is no advantage to having it in there. It's just a breeding ground for nasties.

As for substrates, you should always try to find out what substrate that scorp lived on naturally. I've seen yaschenkoi's housed on moist peat, and rainforest scorps on sand!

The heat mat should not be on the floor of the enclosure. When scorps get too hot, they burrow down to escape heat. If the heat mat is there, they'll just get hotter and hotter and cook themselves.

we still provide the water bowl just in case, jst they hardly ever use it. and to prevent bacteria building up the wool is often changed,
for the substrate we do find out what the scorps require for their specific needs, like i said they live in many different environments,
and for the heat mat, its not actually in the tank but below the bottom, and they have enough room and hiding spots to keep cool and burrow at the same time.

and I guess your right when it comes to bein money hungry.....or else we would go out of business!!!

cheers, Matt

I'm disgusted with the fact that pet shops sell stuff to make money!

They should be doing for the love of animals.... and people. All the animals and products should be free! Except all the people who are using the product for wildlife care, they should pay.... maybe even subsadise the cost for everyone else.

You all disgust me!

even the products?

Even the products! Unless it is hair product.

alright I'll ask my boss and see what he says, I don' think it will go down to well tho

and yeah we cant get rid of the hair products, some must be sacrificed!!

well i think that it just goes to show that any species can be kept healthly and live well under a variety of differnent conditions and husbandary techniqies.
I as im sure many of u are, are sick of people bagging others ways, i guess i did that in a way but i mean we are all here to learn different techniqes in husbandary,

cheers

You call keeping a burrow dwelling scorpion on 2cm of soil a 'technique of husbandry' I call it a terrible mistake of husbandry.

I can only hope the only reason they do it is for display purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back