Fake Grass? Opinions please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithy

Reaction score
Just wondering about the use of fake grass for my diamond enclosure. All opinions welcome as I have heard there are conflicting opinions about what to use i.e newspaper, breeders choice litter, fake grass. All advice welcome please. :?

Hey i use newspaper just as it is the easiest choice. Just replace when needed. With the fake grass it needs to be washed but it does look better!!!

im also a fan of newspaper, its the easy to get and easy to clean.

many years ago I used fishtank gravel, although substrates like this look better they are a lot more work or more expensive, requiring regular washing and drying or replacing.
Once I switched to newspaper I never looked back.

ive been using fake grass for about a yr now and would never go back.

it is so easy. when its dirty just remove it disinfect and replace. i have three pieces cut so easy quick change. dont have to wait for it to dry. no sticky paper to clean up, no rubbish and dont need to keep getting papers.

in the defence of paper though if i had more than one enclosure it would most probably be cheaper but i like using the fake grass

I forgot to mention that although I am a firm believer in newspaper I picked up a black-headed monitor earlier this week and was given two sheets of fake grass which I am trying for the first time and after the last 3 or 4 days of using it I am finding that I really don't like it.
Think I will stick to newspaper.

I have 6 enclosures and have the fake grass in all, inside and outside.

I find it easy to use and clean, I have 2 or 3 pieces for each enclosure.

I just put it on the lawn and hose off then hang on the line and dissinfect with spray.

Been using it for over a year and love it.

yeah I was thinkin of moving to fake grass....but,
-does the fact that it doesnt absorb water pose a problem, and
- do people keep reptiles that might burrow on it?

sterilized orchid bark- wich is small(20mm) bark chips that have been sterilized and placed on top of either a thin layer of breeders choice or newspaper.

I did use fake grass for a while some time back. Some of it was quite soft but some other types are very stiff and I am sure it was causing my snakes some discomfort and they seemed to be moving in very short jerking movements.There has been reports of it actually cutting snakes bellies.I have since switched back to newspaper.

If I end up making a really nice natural display enclosure then ill probably look into getting some fake grass, but other than that I think newspapers etc is the best.

I actually just use a cheap paper towel at the moment, but thats only for a plastic tub, newspaper or butchers paper would be much more convientient for a larger enclosure.

sorry to change the topic for a minute keithy, but wat do people think of alfalfa pellets as a bearded dragon substrate? or is artificail grass better for beardies?

i always used fake grass, then i made the switch to newspaper a while back, now im currently in the process of going back to the fake grass again...

yeah I was thinkin of moving to fake grass....but,
-does the fact that it doesnt absorb water pose a problem, and
- do people keep reptiles that might burrow on it?

I'd like to know the same. How muck liquid will it absorb or do you end up with a puddle under it when you take it out. When you take it out and carry it through the house is whatever on top or in the grass dripping through it on the floor

i had my ewds on fake grass when they were indoors and they used to spill their water everywhere by getting in and out of the water.... i used to roll it up in the enclosure, put it in a bucket and take it through the house that way......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back