Catchers Permit for Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

W.T.BUY

Hello all i have heard a few people around saying that they have certain reptiles caught on permit. What i was wondering is if: every state has them, How much they cost, Can anyone get them and where to obtain them?????

Excluding NT and WA, reptiles can only be taken from the wild on a scientific permit, which will only be approved if it is for a genuine scientific reason. These are only usually issued to zoos and unis. I don't think that WA would be issuing anymore takers permits, so scratch that one. And i believe in NT, you need to be a licensed removalist in order to be able to take reptiles from the wild, and they have to be from call outs.

Edit: Forgot about Tasmania (as you do), i believe you can take animals from the wild over there to keep as pets only, but there's not much over there anyway.

You wont get one just for your personal pleasure. In most states it appears to be extremely hard in order to get one but people seem to order WC animals from WA; caught by already licensed catchers. As far as I know, increased captive breeding of particular subspecies, species or genetics seems to be the main reason for catching.

re Catchers

Yeh just about anything in WA and NT that can be caught or mined then physically put on an aeroplane or ship :lol:

I'd just like to clarify the situation in SA a little.
It is possible to get a Take from the wild permit here, you just need to follow the process. On DEH website you can find an application for the Take from the Wild permit. I actually have been granted one such permit for a particular species of lizard.
My reasoning was to establish this particular species in captivity and soon I will be going out and collecting my animals.
You do need to fulfill criteria and they judge each application on its merit, the experience of the keeper (with similar species) and the animals status in the wild. You also need to get relevant land owners permission before your permit will be issued, which in most cases is the hardest part.

take from the wild permit

You cannot get a permit to collect Reptile's from the wild in the Northern Territory, unless you live in that state, and you must first prove you cannot get hold of what your after, from a licenced breeder, and you also have to know the numbers in the wild, from the location you want to collect from, that what you want will not have a effect on the wild population, and there is a $500-00 fee on your application, and if approve you cannot remove the wild caught from the Northern Territory also only what you breed from them.:)

Edit: Forgot about Tasmania (as you do), i believe you can take animals from the wild over there to keep as pets only, but there's not much over there anyway.

No in Tas you are allowed to take your cousin from the wild but only for marrige purposes. Not rerptiles.

You cannot get a permit to collect Reptile's from the wild in the Northern Territory, unless you live in that state, and you must first prove you cannot get hold of what your after, from a licenced breeder, and you also have to know the numbers in the wild, from the location you want to collect from, that what you want will not have a effect on the wild population, and there is a $500-00 fee on your application, and if approve you cannot remove the wild caught from the Northern Territory also only what you breed from them.:)

I think you're mistaken Michael, have a look at this website. Reedy often has wild caught animals for sale. www.reedysreptiles.com

No l am not mistaken for what l have said on here about getting a permit to collect Reptile's from the wild in the Northern Territory.

The terms and conditions on David Reeds permit for call outs is different to a permit to take or interfere with wildlife.

in early 2005 the Parks and Wildlife Commission of Northern Territory, decided to no-longer allow people from out side the Northern Territory to get hold of a permit to collect Reptile's from the Wild, because they had no control over them, and could not stop the person who collected them on permit from the wild selling them.

l have had a number of reptile's collected on permit in the NT between 2000 and 2004, and the permit section told me in February 2005, l could no longer apply for a permit to collect from the wild, unless l move into the Northern Territory as a resident.

l also have a copy of the rules stating who can apply for a permit, and it say on the paper l have with me, that Preference will be given to collection by NT residents who will breed the species and produce offspring for sale as pets, This will minimise the extent of collection from the wild, and maximise the economic return to the Northern Territory, and the Pet trade dealers will not be allowed to sell the animals they collect as these will be permitted for breeding purposes only, And private collectors who want to ensure the continuance of a particular variety amongst their stock will need to obtain animals through a commercial deealer in the NT who breeds that stock.

if you want to know more about take from the wild permit rules, you can phone the permit section on 0889-99-4795.:p

So are you saying David cannot legally export wild caught herps to another state?

I thought in SA you could get a permit to catch and sell wildlife so long as you are a resident and only took x ammount of each sp each year. If this is true I'd like to get in touch with someone with this lic/permit whatever so please pm me.

cheers. Mark.

I thought in SA you could get a permit to catch and sell wildlife so long as you are a resident and only took x ammount of each sp each year. If this is true I'd like to get in touch with someone with this lic/permit whatever so please pm me.

cheers. Mark.

I think you are getting SA mixed up with WA here. In SA you must be a resident, but the permit only allows you to take what you apply for, eg 4 sleepies or something. That means you can only take 4 sleepies, but you will have a year from time of applying to collect them.
You cannot sell the animals you have taken from the wild, but can only sell something like 3rd generation captive bred animals, unless prior approval is given from the department.

Cheers OzGecko. I must have missheard something along the way. While trying to locate a brown for sale I was told to get in tuch with catchers from SA and they can catch and sell one to me cheap. I never did find one of these people however, (maybe because they don't exist) but I did get my hands on a brown which I am very happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back