U.V Lights On dragons who uses it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHo uses U.V lights on there dragon tank

• I do (They Need it)

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I don't (they don't need it)

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • To expensive

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • My tanks to hight it would do nothing any way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not all that sure they do "need" it, has there been any studies done to prove this? If the right amount of vit D3 is acquired through the diet in theory they should be fine without UV light.
All the judgemental haters out there, I do give my lizards UV ;)

I use UV because they **may** need it even though there are some members that have successfully bred large quantities of dragons without it.

my new babies have a repti glo 10, and spend weekends in the sun (in one of those mesh cages)

my adults dont stay in their tank, so i stopped replacing that,..they spend full days on the weekend in the sun and hang out in front of the open balcony door (well,..the glass is open, they flyscreen is closed) and get afternoon sun that way..

i prefer my dragons to make their D3 naturally rather than get it thru supplements.

glass and plastic block out UV light, they need to be behind a flyscreen.

Is it true that uv gets blocked by the window is the reptiles get direct sunlight through a window?
cant really understand :? ( unless the second is is actually an if ), but uv doesn't go through glass that well.

does the U.V light have to be with in 15 cm of the reptile to do anything. Because thats what i have been told

hey sorry to take it off topic but
where can you get the actual fittings for the u.v blub thing?
and for a lace monitor would a 20 watt black light U.V fluoro tube 48 inc one be good enough for it?
thanks
sorry again to take it off topic

w t buy if you are even considering to not use uv for your dragons then you are not ready for them, and to expensive is a lame excuse you can get the cheap ones for 10 dollars im sorry for being so upfront but they realy do need it

UV lights on Dragons...

This pic shows two baby central beardies. They are from the same clutch and are about 6 months old here. The one of the left did not have access to UV lighting, the one on the right did. They had both been fed on crickets and vege's and yes, the little one did eat, he just got no benefit from it.

Attachments

• Image091.jpg
    Image091.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 70
it is possible to simply suplement D3 into the diet, it is no different then offering an artificial uv light. although with uv light it allows the lizard to modify the amount of D3 within its body, rather then supplementation which if you overdose can cause problems as bad as having no D3 at all. i wouldnt say it is to expensive either because supplementing d3 would be more expensive in the long run. plus and jsut on the sides all lizards show a more normal beaviour when they have uv lighting, they jsut seem to know that it is good for them, i see my boys basking under the uv fluro, it gives off no heat yet they no that they need it. but as the saying goes there is nothing better then natural sunlight. if you can get them outside for 10-30 mins a day that would be the best thing for you lizards.

cheers
H

Sure is Chris. I've had the little one for about 3 months now and he's still not growing much, so I'm worried he may be stunted.

DameJacquie,

Thanks for sharing the photo about the 2 Bearded Dragon's, this will send a clear message to those who don't offer any UV-A and UV-B to their captive Dragon's, that they all should be provided with a Fluorescent Tube to access UV, and the one to go for is the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube, which come's in 4 size's 18-24-36-48 inches long.

This pic shows two baby central beardies. They are from the same clutch and are about 6 months old here. The one of the left did not have access to UV lighting, the one on the right did. They had both been fed on crickets and vege's and yes, the little one did eat, he just got no benefit from it.

Thats quite amazing. I have 2 that are similar size differences, however they have both had the same UV access.....odd.

Glass and plastic block up to 98% of UVB, and I believe 14% of UVA (heat)

Most cheapo UV's such as outback max and reptistar don’t do much at all.. The only good UVB tube on the market is reptisun and reptiglo's 8.0 and 10.0

I don’t think the black lights are even tested... And even if they say (better than most uv's on the market) this would be because most are utter crap.

Compacts, are DANGEROUS in there first few days of use, as they emit UVC which causes the retina to expand when it should contract, as they see it as a dull light.. This causes sever damage to their eyes... the compact also deteriorate within their first few months of use...

the BEST UVB you can get on the market, is mega ray from reptileuv.com or a T-rex active UV heat, seeing they need to be imported, the reptisun and reptiglo 8.0 and 10.0's will do fine (replaced every 6 months)

its sickening that people think its too expensive, so don’t bother, and that they 'rotate' if you can afford it, you shouldn’t have so many animals IMO

(…And who ever created this thread needs to learn how to spell)

Compacts, are DANGEROUS in there first few days of use, as they emit UVC which causes the retina to expand when it should contract, as they see it as a dull light.. This causes sever damage to their eyes... the compact also deteriorate within their first few months of use...

)

It causes the iris to expand not the retina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back