Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in the story surprises me. I have no doubt he held a RBB for 20 mins. Either would any other RBB keeper for that matter, there remarkably placid animals (GENERALLY)

Snakes eating snakes, yeah, wouldn't surprise me either. Cool story!

i wasnt aware children's ate other snakes! I thought mostly venomous species only do that. Sounds a bit fishy as red bellies tend to be aggressive, let alone in someones house and being handled.
Don't know what the RBBS in your area are like but the ones on my property are very placid...I almost stood on one in the back yard and before it took off in the other direction I was able to crouch down right next to it to have a good old look. I didn't want to move too far once I was on top of it....and quite often have to catch hatchies and move them away from the house and put them down the back where they belong.
So I believe it could have happened.:D

I remember seeing the late Steve Irwin holding a rattle snake on his arm without it even thinking of biting, perhaps this guy has the same vibe about him that the snake found relaxing :p

Just a question, (probably a silly one), but when the python digests the RBB, he is digesting venom? Would this not do his insides harm?

maybe it wasn't even a RBB. like maybe it was some other little less venomous snake. I mean he didn't know what it was when he was playing with it maybe he's just assuming now? and descriptions do tend to get hazy as the stories go on? But if it's only little then who knows.

I've got no problem believing it.
It could have been a small eyed snake or a RRBS, either way it's entirely possible a childreni could eat it.

I've got no problem believing it.
It could have been a small eyed snake or a RRBS, either way it's entirely possible a childreni could eat it.

I'll second that, I've only ever found 3 small eyed's up here, and 2 of them were pretty docile (mind you it was a cool night :?).

yea i think its believable, only question i have is how and why would the RBBS get into the enclosure? surely if theres a way in there would be a way out and the childrens would of found it by now??
but then again maybe not hahaha
ive encountered so many RBBS out in the wild and once nearly picked one up thinking it was a tattered bit of a black plastic garbage bag and one i filmed for 30mins at no more then 2 or 3 ft away, none have ever been agressive, all they wanna do is get out of your way so if you dont chase after it and try and kill it then your all sweet :D:D:D:D:D

the part that bugs me most is that a completely snake illiterate person was able to handle a rbb for 20 mins without say, grippin it firmly or doing somethign that in most wild snakes would easily cause a strike. i suppose if it was a juvie tho quite possible it could have been eaten but dont juvies tend to be more snappy due to their small size and feeling threatened?

maybe that one was in his house for ages b4 it got in with the childrens and he just never saw it and it came acostomed to people wandering all around it and didnt mind a bit of a handle :D haha

Just a question, (probably a silly one), but when the python digests the RBB, he is digesting venom? Would this not do his insides harm?
Poison will harm if digested but venom needs to make contact with the blood to have an affect. The same as when a BHP eats there favourite meal of a death adder....

Poison will harm if digested but venom needs to make contact with the blood to have an affect. The same as when a BHP eats there favourite meal of a death adder....

if it was digested wouldnt it reach the blood stream in the small intestine when absorption through the villi take it to the capilaries?

i think venom gets broken down by stomache acid and digestive enzymes.

i wouldn't be inclined to dismiss this story out of hand, i have heard plenty of stories of non-herp people catching and playing with deadly elapids, only to later discover that it was a tiger snake.

Im not sure if anyone else has seen it. Ive had a quick scan through everyones posts but did you see where it says the Red Belly was 3 ft ??? Now thats a BIG childrens to eat it !!! :rolleyes::shock::?

maybe the "RBBS" was sick or injured. make it easier for the childreni to eat and could of felt to gross to strike? just a though

Not really Matty.

(Besides bad estimation of the size of the RBB)

Not sure how big his Childreni is, but it can easily fit a small redbelly in. There only skinny buggers and by the sounds of it it squashed it down good!

still, that is a BIG childreni, it would have to be full grown and then some.

Not really Matty.

(Besides bad estimation of the size of the RBB)

Not sure how big his Childreni is, but it can easily fit a small redbelly in. There only skinny buggers and by the sounds of it it squashed it down good!

Post says the children's was 4 foot.

I remember seeing the late Steve Irwin holding a rattle snake on his arm without it even thinking of biting, perhaps this guy has the same vibe about him that the snake found relaxing :p

I also remember Irwin holding a RRB that was dead set intent on ending him. They arn't all so placid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back