heat globe life span

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

just had a 40w heat globe (well known brand ) die after only 8 weeks. Its programmed for use through thermostat to operate 8 hrs a day.
Surely they should last longer.
Whats your usage and lifespan people.
cheers Ian

That's about the same time our reflector globes last on an on/off thermo to.

I don't use the expensive "reptile" special globes anymore. They blow after a couple of days or so and you may as well throw your money down the toilet. Mitre 10 sell the same shape same watts for $3.50.
I only ever used it on the dragon but mate I got sick of the damn things blowing all the time.
$22.50 compared to $3.50

ive had a URS 60watt day globe running on a on/off thermostat for over 10 months

l fine the best Light Globes to use for heating is General Electric and Crompton, they have a range of wattages in the Reflector Light Globes from 40-60-75-100watts and 2 size's R63-R80, and they also have Red and Blue Party Light Globes in 25-40-60watts. l have found these ones tend to last longer than any other brand l have use in the last 15 years, and they a cheap to buy from Lighting and Hardware shops.

I've found using a lower wattage globe which stays on longer (on/off thermostat) will last longer than a higher wattage globe which is forever turning on and off. The repetitive on/off cycle definitely shortens the life span of the globe.

l agree with you spilota variegata about the higher wattage light globes turning on and off to often will shorten the lifespan of the light globe, but if you use a lower wattage light globe, how will you get the right temperature you want for Lizards such as small Monitor's or Bearded Dragon's.

l old friend of mine Mr Greg Fyfe who works at the Alice Springs Desert Park, always told me there is no need to use a Thermostat, because they tend to turn the lights on and off to often, as long as the enclosure is big enough, there is no need for a Thermostat, the last time l spoke to him, he said to me he will never ever use a Thermostat again, and l agree with him.

This way the light stays on all the time, and the Reptile's have a choice to bask when they want to, and with the lights flicking on and off all the time, it can stress them out over time.

I don't use the expensive "reptile" special globes anymore. They blow after a couple of days or so and you may as well throw your money down the toilet. Mitre 10 sell the same shape same watts for $3.50.
I only ever used it on the dragon but mate I got sick of the damn things blowing all the time.
$22.50 compared to $3.50
cement, are these heat emitters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back