Arrrhhh...stuck eggs!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indicus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Damn; just found a jungle on a clutch of eggs....
These eggs have adhered to the timber floor of the cage.
Anyone have any suggestions as to remove them without tearing them.
Their stuck like super-glue.
I've tried soaking with water; and gently tried to cut in between the floor and the clutch;
without success.
If i can't do it; i'll just put a timber frame (box) around the female and eggs; add sphagnum;
and allow her to do the job.
Any suggestions appreciated.......
Cheers Tree

not much you can do apart from jigsaw the patch of floor out! and incubate the lot floor and all.

Cheers mate.....mmmm; yes, had hoped that maybe someone had a trick to it; i'd not heard.
Oh well; mum should do the job fine......

Had a conversation with someone last year who had the same problem, I believe they ended up using some nylon fishing line and kind of gently sawed underneath the eggs till they were free. Cant for the life of me remember who it was. will try and look through my emails for you.

Good luck!

MM i have heard the same thing but with floss rather than fishing line.

i wouldnt jigsaw it off, that would create too much vibration and may cause damage in the eggs.
if you used something too remove them then you may have to come to the conclusion that some may be sacrificed. i would probably let the mother incubate them.

Is it a problem to let her incubate them herself rather than risk damaging the eggs trying to remove them?

I would let maternal instinct do the job now, just keep the temps and humidity good to help her.

any chance of removing the female into another box, and using the cage as the incubator? you would still have to cylinder around the eggs and maybe pack with spag or vermic & adjust lighting & temp?

Tree, I have heard that waxed dental floss, used in a sawing motion has worked for others, not recommeding it on my own experience though....

Thanks guy's for the advise.....
After trying floss, chisels and various implements
I ended up destroying one egg, worst luck.
The problem being the cage bottom is quite pitted
and rough; and the eggs had really adhered to
the cage floor....
Using an up-turned foam box (painted black) probe sticking out of the bottom (measure temps)
the mother and eggs were surrounded with Sphagnum Moss and left to continue the incubation process.
I believe the mother had enough of being disturbed; and by lunch had left her eggs and curled up under the newspaper on the other side of the enclosure.....
After returning her to her eggs several times; she had lost interest in them and was showing no interest in maternal care.
I now had a real problem.....next step as suggested; was to turn the cage into a incubator.
Before doing so I thought I'd try introducing another female that had laid the other day.
This female had not wanted to give up her eggs; and was quite distressed for sometime after i'd taken her eggs. Well interesting enough, the experiment seems to be working......the surrogate mother introduced yesterday afternoon; found the eggs; and is still wrapped tightly around the eggs this morning.
Rather odd to say the least....
All i can do now; is watch and wait...Thanks again all;
oh the fun of breeding season :rolleyes: :) ;)

Wow. Thats very interesting. Who would have thought she'd take to another clutch so easily. Well thats maternal instinct for ya.

All the best indicus. I hope they all hatch and make u very proud. After all the drama you deserve it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back