Bluey set up and rough costs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am after a bit of info re Bluey set up. My nephew is getting a Bluey for Xmas, poss baby or juvie noy sure at this stage which would be better for him. I want to ask your info re ideal set and any pics that may assist. Nephew lives in upper blue Mountain near Lithgow which may help in giving advice re the cold weather and heating as such.

Also a rough cost for a basic setup

Cheers

The best place to look for information on Blue-Tongue Lizard's set-up is www.bluetongueskinks.net, its as all the information on it such as, health issues-handling-diets-sexing-breeding-heating-keeping indoor or outdoor-enclosures and identification of all species of Blue-Tongue lizard's world wide.

And you also can register online, so you can share or seek information and download photo's of your collection.

Mate if your keeping it indoors and are set on a bluey get an eastern if you want toget a bluey for outdoors get a blotched as thats whats around our neck of the woods . The sit e mick 1924 suggested is great as well as the keeping blue tounges book which is available through several site sponsors but as gillsy said go the beardy they are awesome.

Hi Frank,
900 W x 600 D x 500 H white enclosure $180.00
Thermostat $50.00 S&F
UV batten with globe $52.00 S&F
Water bowl $12.00 new
Heat globe $8.00
That should be it.

The best place to look for information on Blue-Tongue Lizard's set-up is www.bluetongueskinks.net, its as all the information on it such as, health issues-handling-diets-sexing-breeding-heating-keeping indoor or outdoor-enclosures and identification of all species of Blue-Tongue lizard's world wide.

And you also can register online, so you can share or seek information and download photo's of your collection.

Great Site:)

My partner has recently helped out with my bluey setup...

if your handy you could do this too

get some pre cut wood lengths from Bunnings (we used four price at $12 each. Only one needs to be cut)
pack of screws to make it go together ($5 maybe?)
slide glide rail thingys ($20 bucks)
Vent (10 bucks)
and some glass ($54 cut for you with sharp edges taken off)

add a light and some funishings and your done :D

I used some PVC pipe and glued on some sand. my little guys love it :D

Attachments

• My Cabinet.jpg
    My Cabinet.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Beatrice and Rex.jpg
    Beatrice and Rex.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi all,
Spoke to my nephew this arvo and he is sure he would like a Bluey and not a dragon. Now is there anybody that might have an enc that would suit him for a beginner.

If so can you either PM me pics and prices please also location would be nice I dont think his mother will travel the country side to get it.

Cheers

G'Day Frank,

A fish tank would be fine for a young common blue tongue for starters
can also pick up dirt cheap second hand tanks, even one that
has a small crack would be fine.

A basking light, fixed to a wooden hood controled by a thermostat
or dimmer would be all you need.

yeah i think a bluey is the ultimate starter,beardeds are great but not as hardy for a begginner,especially juvie wise and being kept by a youngster,plus the thread asks about blueys,so why say beardys,id reccomend an eastern or blotched in your area,when there older u could make them an outside enclosure,but even keeping them indoors,your room temp at night will be finre for them,u just need to create a warm basking spot at one end

spinipes, if the owner is a beginner/child yes he does need a thermostat cooked blueys ain't fun

spinipes, if the owner is a beginner/child yes he does need a thermostat cooked blueys ain't fun

depending on what wattage he gets eg 40 or 60 watt i dont see the need for a thermostat. I see what you are geting at but if he wants to keep a reptile he sould know proper husbandary and know not to over cook one.

Frank
If you need an enclosure, I can have one for you for about 60.00. It is the same as I am using for my bluey.
It's about 41/2 - 5 foot long about 3 - 31/2 foot deep and height about 21/2 - 3 foot. Holes for basking light and UV light in glass. Lockable Key and lock included.
Only prob is the doors are mirrored and need to be changed so the whole enclosure is not glass......
I live in the liverpool area and would be happy to help a young fella into herps.
My email address is [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back