Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day Simone,

Chalk one up for the V.panoptes vote. You should send some photos to Kieran Aland at the Queensland Museum, he will give you a definite ID.

Thanks a million for that Jonno, i will send the photos along to him, and a big thanks for everyone else with their opinions,

Simone.

My theory is that by using Gillsy' white thong as a sizing scale , it is visable that it is an old monitor,so therefore based on the size, if this was a male panoptes then it would easily be much bigger than the specimen shown in the photo. Most older books show one distribution of gouldii and panoptes covering most of Australia, except the lower, southern half of the country. As for the spotting around the legs, this is common in many areas where gouldii are found. To sum it up, I think its an old male varanus gouldii or just a lump of a sandy.

If they are so similar, then what is the 'actual' difference in the two species>?

l would have to say its a Varanus Gouldii Gouldii, going by what l can see in the latest photo's posted on here, because its has a yellow tail tip, which is what Varanus Gouldii Gouldii and Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus all have.

The difference between a Varanus Gouldii Gouldii and Varanus Penoptes Penoptes is the size.

I change my vote to hybrid. The general look of it(body size etc.) looks like panoptes but it has a gouldii tail.

Is there any reason to think it isnt some sort of hybrid atleast to some extent?

When we first found it, we thought it looked odd so weren't sure if it was gouldii or panoptes. He seemed much more chunky than the average gouldii, but i have had bugger all experience with both species to know which it is. It didn't look like a particularly old animal, i put the size 9 thong in the picture to give some idea how big it was. I'm just happy to sit here and let people debate which species it is so i can have a better idea on these awesome animals.

Simone

If they are so similar, then what is the 'actual' difference in the two species>?

Shape and arrangement of patterning and chevrons under the neck and belly. Unfortunately the only things we can't see clearly in the pics.

LOL Ah Simone.. come on!

So everything else is pretty much identical then other than some patterning underneath?

LOL Ah Simone.. come on!

So everything else is pretty much identical then other than some patterning underneath?

Well if it's not covered by maggots i'll go and turn it over and take some pics of the belly and throat if that helps.

Simone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back