melamine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorps

hey all i will be buying alot of melamine soon and am wondeing the best way t buy it and who has it the cheaepest will need it in i think its 2400cm x 1200cm i think any way who has it the cheapset

Bunnings occassionally have it for $35 a sheet, which is great if you have a way of cutting it yourself. Bunnings can cut it, but they're about as accuarate as a 4 year old with crayons.

I've seen HMR 1200 x 2400 at Bunnings for $18 a sheet (need a trade account though), but as Jonno says, they are not very accurate when it comes to cutting, and the blade usually chips the edge of the melamine.

I'd go with Mr Ply & Wood, they will cut it to the millimetre (extremely accurate) and with the proper blade. They usually do the cutting for free also (not always, but usually - for me anyway).

Bunnings occassionally have it for $35 a sheet, which is great if you have a way of cutting it yourself. Bunnings can cut it, but they're about as accuarate as a 4 year old with crayons.

My 4 year old was offended by that comment and thinks you should change it to 3 yo
He thinks he is much more accurate with crayons than bunnings is with cutting

from my experience bunnings do not stock hmr melamine, your local one may.
i think you may be better off going to a independant hardware or kitchen cabinet maker, give them your measurements. they will cut to your requirements.
cheers:)

I believe most, if not all, of the of the Bunnings Trade stores stock HMR boards, i don't believe the normal stores do though.

I've seen HMR 1200 x 2400 at Bunnings for $18 a sheet (need a trade account though), but as Jonno says, they are not very accurate when it comes to cutting, and the blade usually chips the edge of the melamine.

I'd go with Mr Ply & Wood, they will cut it to the millimetre (extremely accurate) and with the proper blade. They usually do the cutting for free also (not always, but usually - for me anyway).

Hey mate, are you sure that wasn't their price on 445 x 2400 or 595 x 2400? $18 a sheet is about half the price of what it costs my cabinet maker to buy in for himself...and I have access to a trade account with Bunnings but the way it works is that it gives a discount based off how much you have spent in the previous month or so. If you'd gone through and fitted out an entire house from Bunnings then you might get a whopping discount I guess.

dont bother going to bunnings they are crap you right jonno. your maybe best getting some sizes and go see your local cabinet maker (kitchen place) there heaps better and they will prob put the leminat edges on for you too....

I'm 100% certain Jonno, this was about 3-4 months, i don't know if they're still offering it at that price, it may have been on special. My girlfriend showed me a leaflet her father's business had been sent from Bunnings, i saw the melamine on there for $18. So i went into the shop, into the trade section, and saw it there at $18 per sheet. I then spoke to the guy about his saw (hoping it would be better than what my local store uses) but was disappointed to find out they use the same type of saw, and the guy mentioned the blade was pretty old so there was no chance of getting a decent cut from them. It would have been sweet if i had my own table saw though!!

Mate that's a ripper deal. I would have bought the lot, as the cheapest I have found it is $35 a sheet at Bunnings (in their general junk mail). It's definitely easier to get a cabinet maker to cut it as they have the correct saw (scribe saw I think it's called) which doesn't chip it and is precise to 0.5mm

I get mine from Mr Ply & Wood these days, but rather than buy 1 large board (i.e. 1200 x 2400) i buy the 595 x 3600 'shelving' boards and have them cut into pieces. Works out great as 595 is the perfect width for cages and they already have one edge on them, which is all you need.

Hey i work at bunnings!!! i know not all of the guys there cut the best when i done my melamine it was fine. Also the trade account only works on the trade you have so if your a builder you will get a discount on timber but not plants. If you was a plumber you would get discount on plumbing items. get the idea? dosent really matter how much you spend but some accounts you need to spend over a certain amount per month to keep them. Hey Mr.Bredli for them to sell it out that cheap it prob was old stock or something usually its around the $35. I will check tomoz as i am working. (the cheapest way is to work there you get 20% off almost every thing)

I'm 100% certain Jonno, this was about 3-4 months, i don't know if they're still offering it at that price, it may have been on special. My girlfriend showed me a leaflet her father's business had been sent from Bunnings, i saw the melamine on there for $18. So i went into the shop, into the trade section, and saw it there at $18 per sheet. I then spoke to the guy about his saw (hoping it would be better than what my local store uses) but was disappointed to find out they use the same type of saw, and the guy mentioned the blade was pretty old so there was no chance of getting a decent cut from them. It would have been sweet if i had my own table saw though!!
Was this DEFINATELY for the HMR melamine or just the standard stuff??

I get mine from Mr Ply & Wood these days, but rather than buy 1 large board (i.e. 1200 x 2400) i buy the 595 x 3600 'shelving' boards and have them cut into pieces. Works out great as 595 is the perfect width for cages and they already have one edge on them, which is all you need.
The shelving board isn't HMR though is it?

Definitely, 100% HMR melamine, definitely 1200 x 2400 and definitely $18. I went in and saw it with my own eyes. This was at the McGrath's Hill Bunnings near Windsor.

The sole reason i went to the store was to check out this $18 melamine, and i did indeed see it there, priced at $18. I would bet my life on it! :)

Nope there is a difference between them with the HMR (High Moisture Resistance) boards a bit more expensive then the shelving boards

The shelving board isn't HMR though is it?

My local Mr Ply & Wood doesn't stock the HMR shelving boards unfortunately, but it is available in HMR and they can order it in. I just used the standard one for the last 2 banks i made as i didn't want to wait for them to order it in, nor did i feel like going for a drive to another store. But it is definitely available in HMR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back