Pygopod care.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanting to see whats the go with Pygopod's in captivity (in particular Delma spp). Like the husbandry, caging, diets etc.

Now before you go and say 'PM geckodan' etc, I am wanting other peoples opinions aswell, and I'm sure Danny answers this question enough lol. I have also done searches but they havent uncovered much.

I have read and been told that Pygopods have behavioural and biological similarities to that of Geckos that some taxonomists even consider them to be a subfamily of geckos.

All info, and I mean, all info will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Shawn

I've kept Burton's and Scaly-foots, i treated them both the same as i would skinks except i had a lot of native grass tussocks in the cages. Heating was provided during the day via an incandescent globe.

Cheers MrB!
By any chance would you have any older pics from when you had them?

Sorry i don't have any pics Shawn, this was several years ago; i don't think digital cameras were even invented back then. :)

I found some pics, they are only scans of photos so excuse the quality. Unfortunately they are just head shots, so you can't see the enclosures, but i used a basic setup; log(s), tussocks, basking rock and water bowl. I fed the Burton's skinks obviously. The Scaly-foots ate insects and absolutely loved banana. I think they also took some apple as well.

0007.jpg

0005.jpg

0scalyfoot.jpg

Burtons

I kept a burtons when i lived in darwin, had to feed him small asian house geckos and sometimes skinks. Its cool watchin them eat. not the best shot but its all ive got

cheers Jason

Attachments

• Burtons Legless Lizard.JPG
    Burtons Legless Lizard.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 73
There was a yellow coloured L.burtonis available through a SA Dealer (Northside Pets Superstore) that had apparently been weaned onto Crickets, however, the floor of the enclosure was covered in dead ones. They had $300 on it which is a good price in my opinion.

Is it true that they can be weaned onto Rats tails?

I know of some on rat tails, but they are assist fed.

G'day Rocket,

99.999% of the time Burtons will only eat lizards. I have heard anecdotal evidence of them eating pink mice and insects, but I have never seen photo's, video or anything else. I did manage to get a feeding response (caudal luring) out of one of mine with woodies, but it didn't eat any.

One of the coolest reptile things I have witnessed lately is one of Danny Brown's Scaly Foots feeding on a pink mouse. Incidentally, he is probably the only person with long term, in depth captive knowledge of pygopods in Australia, so he really is the person to ask. I doubt another email is going to affect him, I send him several a day. He loves it!

Cheers Jonno!!!!!

Its hard for us Southerners as we dont have the AHGs and we'd need to get a permit allowing us to take 'feeder' skinks. I have already enquired and Permits SA didn't seem too pleased with the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back