Fat Should Pay More for Airline Tickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
With the arrival of Stary_Boy for the Cairns November celebrations I was horrified to find out she was charged $110 for excess luggage.

She was over by a couple of kg for sure, but did they take into consideration the fact she was a lot smaller than a lot of the other passengers?

What say she had recently lost weight?

Lets say for example she had lost 5kg - that's probably $50 excess luggage costs... But they don't take that into account.

Then last night on the news they brought up this very scenario... If people ar ebeing charged for extra baggage why aren't they charging for seriously overweight people?

Soon you'll have to be weighed in to buy your airline ticket.

What say one of the 'biggest losers' gets on the airline - and they lose 50 or more kg!

A biased system really.

Which one's biased, fat people paying more or skinny people paying excess baggage? ;)
:lol:

i've often thought the same thing myself, if there's a cut off in baggage weight what's the cut off for people weight?

when we were organising the kids school camp to tassie earlier this year we had to pay for 2 seats for 1 of the mums as she is a big big girl. so yes it appears that obese people do pay extra.

that must have been really embrassing for her :( was it cause of weight or size though? i can understand stand size cause she would pyhiscally need two seats but if it was only based on weight that's just a bit mean.

that must have been really embrassing for her :( was it cause of weight or size though? i can understand stand size cause she would pyhiscally need two seats but if it was only based on weight that's just a bit mean.

HAHAHA! I thought you were talking about stary then for a sec... haha...

Well you cant have a butt that size and not be over weight. If you let yourself get that big then you had better learn to deal with.

Yeh ive been on a fair few flights in my lifetime...
One of the vivid memories is checking in to sydney airport on way home from aunties place on holiday there and had a large dude in front of us trying to check in and the lady at the counter was saying that he would physically have to buy two seats however the flight was completely booked and there was not another seat available where they could put two together and he was goin off his trolley about it because it meant he had to wait for another 10 hours till the next flight!!!!
pretty funny/scary when you like 8 or 9!!

well there is a point to all this, if a plane is filled with a full cabin of all overweight people, and their luggage, would they be too heavy to even get off the ground? no offense to fat people but its a good point that if u pay 5$ a kilo, there should be a set weight that if ur over it ur considered overweight and it should come off ur baggage, like if ur 50K overweight u can only have 1k of baggage lol

I think they go on the total weight of average passengers, then it doesn't matter if your fat or thin sort of thing and then the total of baggage has it's own weight too,

If it tells you your only allowed to have 20 kilos in baggage then use your common sense and just have that much.

I'm not skinny and find it offensive when people say you let yourself get that way then you should pay more, having dealt with it most of my life it's not a matter of letting yourself etc. There are medical reasons for many people too.

Overweight people already have a hard enough time with clothing being dearer etc and things like that, yeah why not slug them for all their weight is worth??

I find it sad people should think this way.

As a travel agent I am commenting... but yes if a person is of a larger proportion then they DO have to purchase 2 seats at an extra cost.... so there is NO BIASED at all here!!
The weight of luggage is a standard size and weight so as to FIT in the luggage hold and also they have to take into consideration the weight of the plane, the weight of the fuel etc etc!!

Ok so if you're going to say that FAT people who weigh over a certain weight should pay extra well what about a pregnant woman who may normally not weigh a great deal but when pregnant she puts on weight... do you think she should pay extra??? Domestically they can fly up to 1 month prior to the birth as long as theres no complications!!

I can't believe you guys are actually even commenting on this.... as it was said earlier sometimes it's not about WEIGHT but more about size.... some people may not weigh in excess but are just out of proportion and therefore making this argument a pretty null and void argument as there is no sure fire "system" that would be able to have criteria that would suit everyone!!
That is why it's only luggage that is controlled as how could you possibly monitor and control how much each person weighs and still get the plane to leave on time???

I agree with Mertle, it's a battle that unless you have walked in someone elses shoes you have NO IDEA what the whole process is about and how hard it can be for some people!!

It's also discrimination!

Mertle fair enough some have medical reasons....

But IMO the majority are just lazy individuals setting a bad example for the next generation who are getting fatter and lazier by the day..

I can see what you are getting at, IMO it would be fairer for a ticket to cover a certain weight(passenger and luggage combined) but you cant really expect ppl to stand on scale because some ppl are embarresed by their weight for some stupid reason(we can all see how fat you are anyway). Weight also isnt always related to being fat at around 90kg im not really fat(just a little insulation lol) but pay the same price for a ticket as a 30kg kid, so im not going to complain. It isnt likely to change as the fat population is growing rapidly and they hold alot of weight.

I'm not for discrimination against overweight people, however I actually believe that this may be a step in the right direction. There have been many radical steps taken in the past to try and achieve equality, and a better way of life, very few of them were accepted at the time, it's amazing how many of them we take for granted nowadays.

The anti-smoking revolution, for example. Once upon a time this was an accepted practice, nobody would have questioned or criticised a smoker. However today it is perfectly acceptable to say to a smoker "what are you doing, don't you know how unhealthy that is for you ?"

My question is how long will it be before obesity is questioned in a similar manner. "What are you doing, don't you know how unhealthy it is to be so overweight ?"

The fact is, obesity is dangerous, and not natural. Sure, plenty of people say "some people can't help it, it's medical, or it's genetic.." the fact is, no matter what it is - it's dangerous. Look at statistics for obesity-related deaths. Obesity-related deaths in the western world are fast catching up to deaths due to starvation in third world countries.

Yes, be yourself, be happy with who you are, but be healthy at the same time. No one's telling you to be size 0 (I find that far more disgusting than obesity in any case), just to get to a healthy weight. Yes, it's harder for some people than others, but if you really value your life, then I would think that you would go to any lengths to maintain it.

This is why I say it's a step in the right direction, another incentive for people to aspire to be healthy.

I've got nothing against overweight people, however people lacking self-respect.. well if you don't respect yourself don't expect me to do the same.

/rant

Last edited:
descrimination is the unfair treatment of a person with no particular reason.

this is NOT descrimination IMO, if it didnt cost more to fly the plane etc with more weight then it would be but thats not true. I understand yes there are alot of health reasons like thyroids etc that cause weight gain, but its also a circle, with previous generations of overweight people, statistics show they are more likely to have overweight kids etc etc.

My question is how long will it be before obesity is questioned in a similar manner. "What are you doing, don't you know how unhealthy it is to be so overweight ?"
that isnt going to work, believe me. im 130kg at the moment, and put it this way, my PE teacher at school tried that so my last week at school i ate one of those double pounder (the ones with 8 pieces of meat) in front of her.
the point is, i was planning to get healthy in my own time and every time someone did something like that, its like well stuff you im going to eat a pie sandwhich.

that isnt going to work, believe me. im 130kg at the moment, and put it this way, my PE teacher at school tried that so my last week at school i ate one of those double pounder (the ones with 8 pieces of meat) in front of her.
the point is, i was planning to get healthy in my own time and every time someone did something like that, its like well stuff you im going to eat a pie sandwhich.

Not exactly the most fruitful response to have, tho, is it ? You'd rather be unhealthy simply to spite the people that criticise you for it ?

It's a vicious circle when it comes to overweight people,

If you haven't been there then you really don't understand, it's also a mental thing which cannot be overcome as easily as saying "just lose the weight"

walk a mile in someone else's shoes before making judgments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back