Given up the fight - sick turtle didnt make it....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Miss B. Poor little guy. It happened to suddenly over a few days. I know theyre a touchy species (not as hardy as Murray and saws) but still very quickly. Lucky the other little guy is doing well though. The others in the tank (the saws and nrthn yellow) are all fine - so its a mystery. I guess its because theyre more sensitive. Im getting 2-3 more longnecks in Oct-Nov so all is good. RIP little one!

Sorry to hear, it always sucks to lose a reptile.

Have you worked out what caused the problem to start with?

I believe it was fungus and calcium defiency as explained in the other thread - my brother fed my turtles about 10 days ago until about 2-3 days ago. I found that the lid wasnt put back properly and the tube had become wet and wasnt functioning properly. This and fungus - ive had them in the same tank for 6 mths and ive been doing the same routine since, so that part is a mystery. Ive since changed the UV tube, treated the little sick turts, put fungus age in the whole aquarium just incase any other turt may have the first signs of it, done a 75% water change (usually i only do a 25-30% water change), checked the filter and gotten different media for the filter. Fingers crossed for the other little one.

Hi,

I just read your other thread... I am pretty new to turtles, however I did notice quite alot of chemicals.....

Do you think the chemicals created a toxic mix, possibly cancelling each other out?

I know this happens alot with fish - to many chemicals and its like a toxic soup and then they all end up sick and dying.....

Just wondering if this may be the case in turtles aswell

any signs of fungus and i put the PH to about 8.4 with a 50% water change and added aquarium salt - they are also treated with bedadine and dry docked for 2 hours a day (1 hour in morning, 1 in evening after the bedadine) within 3 days I had no fungus on any turtle.....

One in particular was quite bad all over 2 back feet..... 3 days it was gone

Matt

Usually they only have turtle waste cleaner (breakes down the turtles waste so it filters alot easier) and the chorine remover (obviously). So i dont think its the chemicals lol - but it was a good idea. I have now fungus ade and aquarium salt in the water just incase the other turts are in the early stages of it. Every day this little one is going to be dry docked and betadined for 2-3 hrs and also sulfa dipped for 2-3 hrs. And also the UV light is only 15cm away from the landing dock they bask on. So thats what i bring it down to - calcium and fungus.

Thank You Niomi. Wish there was something i could do like a little memorial - i know it may sound silly lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back