10 month old Diamond Whistle-hissing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilithLeChat

Reaction score
Me again, with another silly question.

When I tried to move my 10 month old Diamond off the thermometer tonight (she’s in a new enclosure and I’m trying to adjust the temperature) she got in a defensive position and then made a sound that started off as a whistle and then became a hiss. This is the first time that I’ve heard her make any noise whatsoever.

A few weeks ago I was watching a video in which a woman talked about her 18 month old Diamond learning how to hiss but only managing whistles. I didn’t think about it again until tonight, so I tried to Google if there’s any truth to what she said about juveniles having to learn how to hiss, but no luck. Plenty of hits about hissing, or whistling being possible sign of RI, but nothing that answered my question.

I tried to provoke her into making that sound again, but she wouldn’t do it.

So is there any truth to that woman’s claim that juveniles need to learn how to hiss, and only manage whistling at first?

Last edited:
Hey Lilith, We have a Diamond as well as several other Morelia and Antaresia (also legged reptiles) and have never heard any whistling, they can hiss from very young. I would suggest it is a sign of RI and you should see the vet ASAP.

I have her next to my ear right now and listening very carefully to her breathing - no more whistling or any other sounds.
Nose looks clear, and no discharge from the mouth either. Will keep an eye on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back