Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthy

Reaction score
The attached URL is a scan of a photo I have at home. The parchment in the back of the photo reads as follows.

" 18 foot Rock Python after swallowing a 170 lb kangaroo.
'Crendon' Maxwellton, N.QLD 1924"

Looks like an Olive to me. 170lbs = 77 kg, that's pretty big.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/garthy_photos/18ftRockPython.jpg

I really hope you can view this, it has taken me nearly a month to get this far.
Thanks to those that offered advice.

Attachments

• 18ftRockPython.jpg
    18ftRockPython.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 386
wow, thats a great photo.

on another note, can anybody else see the profile of a man that looks like Elvis in the background.

that's just stretched skin i don't think it has been cut open. That is for sure a big python!

Or could it be a scrub python? It looks like some patterns on the body left side of the roo.

Is there any follow up info to the info in the back of the parchment?

I have seen some photos of a python that ate a wallaby and couldn't move for weeks after. I'm pretty sure it was a olive but cant remember exactly.

its an olive and the pic comes from Edgar Waites book Reptiles of South Australia 1929.
cheers Matt

That scrub python in kingdan's pic had a nice lunch =]
Thanks for sharing kingdan and garthy.

Rock python would suggest an oenpelli.

Yeah but it doesnt look like one to me, perhaps olives were called rock pythons by some ppl.

Roos are awesome when they get that big, they arnt even scared of ppl in some cases :)

Maxwelton is in Nth Qld between Charters Tower and Mt Isa. I would not have thought it to be an Oenpelli. Would have been great to see in the flesh what ever species it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back