Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are we now OK with hybrids in our hobby & no longer as concerned about about purity?

• Yes

Votes: 67 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Michael, do you think it would be a little overkill to perhaps have a logo or some sort of badge for pure keepers on their website suggesting you do not condone or keep the breeding of hybrids or jags and only offer pure breeds?
I know it sounds harsh but if you started this say today, in five to 10 years time when pures are uncommon and sought again in this time frame at least the potential buyer may know what they are buying? I agree that your certificate has merit, but what about other snake breeders in the future? Is there a way around the fact that pures will be highly sought in years to come and not some clown selling some mongrel snake calling it pure to get extra dosh as what is happening in the U.S.
Will Pure snakes be taken from the wild in years to come because how uncommon they may be in captivity?
If I offend, I aplologise but I would like to see where our hobby and our future lies with our lack of foresite.

Just my 2 bobs worth again for what it is worth.
Just because someone has jags breeding it does not mean that they don't have pure lines breeding as well & keep them seperate. Just because a pure line male mates with a jag female, it does not taint him, only the offspring.
Now that same pure male can cross with a pure female & what is the problem.
It once again comes back to the HONESTY of the breeder as it does in any situation WHATEVER you are buying or breeding.

Now on the jag siblings which do not carry the jag gene, hence the lack of supposed neuro problem, have you seen some of them. They either get sold to other breeders that don't mind the differing type of snake or I guess they go the way of any other unwanted snakes that are bred.
They are a very nice type of carpet.

Now all of this will not settle all you purist & I can acknowledge the concerns, but we are talking about the pet trade & not keeping an original line going for conversation purposes. Those that wish to do so, please do it.
I have both so please don't ridicule me because i breed something different than you like.
I am also working on some different lines of BHPs, so is this not allowed??

Cheers
Ian

ps.
The question was also asked why people want to breed them?
Well I will tell you honestly that I was eluded to them as it was getting harder & harder to sell normal type coastal carpets. But everytime there was something a bit different advertised it went like hot cakes.
So i thought to myself lets look into this & asked many people many questions & decided that it might be the new demand for a different type of pet or breeder snake. Just as it has been for the bird/fish or whatever pet trade over the last 20 to 30 years.
So i decided to jump in & spend the money & see what happens?
I must tell you that there is not a lot of money in breeding snakes, the price paid versus the amount of food plus the housing & time spent looking after them, the only people that will make the money is the person or people that come up with the new breed/colour etc. & on top of that i have not bred any yet & when i do most probably worth bugger all.
But at least i have had the challenge.

Last edited:
This argument has been going around in circles for the past 2+ years. The stamped pure breeder idea has merit, cause as the newbies come in no doubt it will be an understood rule as to what you prefer.

Waterrat's Comment: Take it whichever way you like certainly clarifies the difference between the pure lines and mixed lines.

Each individual decides what they like and what they dont on there purchase and where they wish to head in the Herp game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back