Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoryBreaker

Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/02/10/4177135.htm

Some selected paragraphs from the article.

"Virtually every reptile, small mammal and bird in Australia is vulnerable to cat predation so they're a really serious threat," he told the SA Late Afternoons program."I've found some amazing animals inside the stomachs of cats, ranging from perentie lizards to large snakes and a whole range of different marsupials, from bilbies and wallabies down to tiny little marsupials."

"I've had cats weighing just over three kilograms, which is pretty small for a domestic cat, with up to 30 different lizards in its stomach," Dr Read said.

Some food for thought.

Cheers

Local councils, and the state and federal government wildlife agencies (NPs etc) need to get serious about exterminating feral and roaming cats.

Too many cat owners don't give a toss about what their cats do when allowed to roam at will at all hours of the day and night and our wonderful and unique fauna are paying a terrible price for it.

Yeah its time to start removing these animals, if its out of its yard it should be put down

Yeah its time to start removing these animals, if its out of its yard it should be put down
These destructive murderous vermin climb over fences so I'd go as far as saying if it's outside it's owner's house or it's ENCLOSED ESCAPE PROOF cat run, it should be fair game to kill it. I don't care who's pet it might be.

I also think that steps should be taken to drive cats to extinction in Australia by requiring owners have permits to keep them (and not more than 1 per household) and all kittens be sterilised immediately at birth or be put down.

Very heavy fines need to be applied and enforced for those who allow their cats to breed, to roam outside their home or cat run and cats caught roaming should be compulsorily put down by the council's vet on capture. Local councils are always saying that they need more money, so, here's an way for them to raise those extra dollars they so sorely need to maintain roads, parks, etc other than by bumping up rand rates as much.

Last edited:
foxes feral dogs have bounties in victoria atm why not add cats, always seems to change opinions when you mention cats.
many of us could live off $1 a scalp for cats :p

This article brings up a valid point to those who still believe snakes are incredibly destructive. I had a discussion with one person after they had seen the jungle around my shoulders about their apparent "destructive" nature. Needless to say, at least that chicken you had lost one time didn't have a serious impact on the ecosystem and welfare of local wildlife.

I'm totally for a ban on free ranging cats,don't get me wrong I love all animals but cats do so much damage and the owners don't give a s*&$.
I just found another turtle dove carcase this morning in my backyard,which is a worry to me as I have free range chickens as well as my dragons in the yard.
6' high metal fences don't keep them out so what are we supposed to do?
Dogs have to be locked up,why not cats?

I'm totally for a ban on free ranging cats,don't get me wrong I love all animals but cats do so much damage and the owners don't give a s*&$.
I just found another turtle dove carcase this morning in my backyard,which is a worry to me as I have free range chickens as well as my dragons in the yard.
6' high metal fences don't keep them out so what are we supposed to do?
Dogs have to be locked up,why not cats?
What you shouldn't do is - buy a trap, capture the cats that are coming onto your property, torturing , maiming and murdering and never eating the native fauna you might be lucky enough to have on your properly only to follow the rules and hand them over the local council's ranger to take away, he'll simply return the mongrel to the owner if he can identify the owner or they come forward and collect it., and you'll be right back where you started and have bugger all chance of ever trapping it again. Worse the owner can expect is some fines (if not chipped, not collared, not registered and that's all :( .... )

IMO probably best to sort the cats out permanently and STEALTHFULLY yourself. (And I don't mean take it for a long drive and dump it --- that only moves the problem somewhere else.)

It's been my experience that you simply can not reason with deadbeat cat owners who insist on letting their cats roam at will day and night. Pointless even trying.

Last edited:
As much as I love and respect animals I have never liked cats. The only cat I have a liking for is my sisters ragdoll kitten and even with her and the fact that she's always inside I'm still very cautious about her where abouts and worried about the safety of my pets

As much as I love and respect animals I have never liked cats. The only cat I have a liking for is my sisters ragdoll kitten and even with her and the fact that she's always inside I'm still very cautious about her where abouts and worried about the safety of my pets
You should be (scared for the safety of your pets), I personally know of an example where a house cat managed to get an enclosure open and then got one at a time each of a friends pet jacky dragons out and proceeded to torture them to death, from a colony of 4 jackys only one survived only because the owner came home and discovered the cat in the act. The surviving jacky dragon soon developed a serious RI and SI from the penetrating bite and claw injuries (nasty bacteria in a cats mouth and on it's claws) and was soon dead despite intense antibiotic IM treatment.

It doesn't matter how well fed and satisfied cats are , they will still attack, torture ,.and kill small animals , not because they're hungry, but because the pyscho murderous mungrels seem to enjoy it, and just because it's a kitten , doesn't mean it wont do this given the chance. Your pets (presumeably all captive bred reptiles) will have not fear of the cat having never experienced fear or seen a predator and so will have less than no chance when (not if) that cat gets into it's head it would be fun to attack them.

If I were you I'd make sure the door to the room where your pets are housed remains closed at all times , or even better, I'd dispose of the cat.

Last edited:
You should be (scared for the safety of your pets), I personally know of an example where a house cat managed to get an enclosure open and then got one at a time each of a friends pet jacky dragons out and proceeded to torture them to death, from a colony of 4 jackys only one survived only because the owner came home and discovered the cat in the act. The surviving jacky dragon soon developed a serious RI and SI from the penetrating bite and claw injuries (nasty bacteria in a cats mouth and on it's claws) and was soon dead despite intense antibiotic IM treatment.

It doesn't matter how well fed and satisfied cats are , they will still attack, torture ,.and kill small animals , not because they're hungry, but because the pyscho murderous mungrels seem to enjoy it, and just because it's a kitten , doesn't mean it wont do this given the chance. Your pets (presumeably all captive bred reptiles) will have not fear of the cat having never experienced fear or seen a predator and so will have less than no chance when (not if) that cat gets into it's head it would be fun to attack them.

If I were you I'd make sure the door to the room where your pets are housed remains closed at all times , or even better, I'd dispose of the cat.
At least she's more scared of the birds then they are of her(ATM) but I think that May wear off.I tried to talk my mum and dad out of letting her get one for my pets sake as all of them are animals they commonly prey on(birds, fish, frog, lizards, snake and a guinea pig :O . And then add to that the fact that my brother is allergic to cats and that she has never looked after any of her own pets in the past(rabbits, guinea pigs including our current one, birds(which she still has one of) and a dog that she still has). And the fact that nearly all of my birds are hand raised and had free roam of most of the house I think it's abit unfair to them

- - - Updated - - -

but cats are so cute >.<
I know they're cute but they're not nice. It's quite often the cuter/prettier things that are the worst

Last edited:
10978527_10155193513945224_8719482126986524083_n_zps19689d12.jpg

I couldn't resist. :)

As kittens maybe, but still noxious vermin and an introduced predatory pest that needs to be exterminated.

Last edited:
It's up to the owners to look after their animals. Keep them within their property boundaries and bring them in at night. If done properly there should be no damage (although not all owners are the same)

I can honestly say my cat is allowed outside during the day, and due to the fact that she's always outside with me, has never caught anything short of a fly.

All it takes is the time to supervise the cat :/
I won't confine my cat indoors, personally I see it as cruel.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I've got two people in my street alone that have outdoor cats 24/7. Things look rough as guts. I don't really see them as their cats, all they do is put food out. I hear them out fighting at night.

I've been working with Sydney bases relocation groups. Still working on a colony in Illawong. All have had their shots and have been neutered so far. Managed to rehome 8 of them. 3 more to go and they'll be gone. Hopefully helpful for natives around the area.

I agree that cats should all be sterilised so that we can slowly get then out of this country. As an alternative option I think they should allow bandicoots to be kept on licence as from what I have heard they stay playful like a kitten for their entire life, in my mind that's a much better option.

Cats/Felines are the ultimate evolutionary monsters....I don't think my Dog would kill me if I suddenly shrank to 2lbs and was tiny, but my cat would probably eat me without a second thought....They are just wired that way....They are natures ultimate land predators.

Most Australian small reptiles/amphibians/marsupials have not evolved with top level predators like Cats so they have no defense against them.

I personally don't see what's so hard about keeping indoor cats....I've had several Cats and Dogs in my life and my cats were ALWAYS indoor cats....

Cats/Felines are the ultimate evolutionary monsters....I don't think my Dog would kill me if I suddenly shrank to 2lbs and was tiny, but my cat would probably eat me without a second thought....They are just wired that way....They are natures ultimate land predators.

Most Australian small reptiles/amphibians/marsupials have not evolved with top level predators like Cats so they have no defense against them.

I personally don't see what's so hard about keeping indoor cats....I've had several Cats and Dogs in my life and my cats were ALWAYS indoor cats....

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHY cats NEED to be allowed outside AT ANY TIME. They can live out their entire lives quite happily inside a house and suffer no ill effects.

It's only the pigheaded stubborn stupidity of cat owners and gutless local councils who are scared of loosing votes if they impose harsh penalties on cat owners who refuse to keep their cats inside at all times that has allowed this problem to remain a problem.

Personally I'd like to see a bounty imposed on all cats who are allowed to roam. People who let their cats roam should have their cats taken off them and the cats destroyed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back