4ft Python Enclosure / Vivarium Options

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Adam-

Reaction score
Hi (again) :)

I'm looking for some advise. I've read that wooden enclosures are better as they hold temperature (and therefore would be more cost effective), but then also read online that they don't last as long as glass because wood will deteriorate over time and was looking for some sort of clarification.

For those who have wooden enclosures - could you please advise how long have you found that they last before you've had to consider replacing them? Are we talking a couple of years, or decades? Are they really that much harder to keep clean?

Additionally I seem to be having a hard time finding options online to buy (local has nothing but fish tanks). Are vivarium's / enclosures hard to come by? I'm chasing something that's 4ft / 1.2m long but there doesn't seem to be much in the pickings, or my google-fu is lacking (which certainly could be the case).

I've found one brand "Reptile One" seems to be popping up a lot in my searches so I'm guessing they're popular- but the websites all tend to say out of stock. I can get a 3ft one in, but not a 4ft one. :( Would that be a decent option if i was to go ahead?

Apart from that I'm struggling to find other ones with lockable front access.

Unfortunately me and woodwork go together like water and potassium, so actually trying to build one myself that the wifey would be happy to have in the house is about as likely as me getting tickets to the next Elvis concert. (Took enough convincing to get her to be happy with me getting a python - plus I'd like something that doesn't look like a Homer Simpson job too... ;)).

Cheers

-Adam-

You can usually get 4ft melamine enclosures pretty readily from custom builders or a reptile store. The main issue with them not lasting is if moisture gets into the joins but it’s pretty easy to run a bead of silicone down all the joins (smooth it off with a damp rag or finger) and give it at least a week to cure before you put anything in there.

Good quality wood with a good sealant and a good coat to keep water out will last for ever, maybe the tracks might come loose, super glue them back on.

I’ve had mine for just under a year and before that previous owner had them for 12

You can usually get 4ft melamine enclosures pretty readily from custom builders or a reptile store. The main issue with them not lasting is if moisture gets into the joins but it’s pretty easy to run a bead of silicone down all the joins (smooth it off with a damp rag or finger) and give it at least a week to cure before you put anything in there.

Thanks @Melmy. Unfortunately the nearest Reptile store is a 2hr drive away (one way) - so popping down to see what they have in stock isn't a viable option at the moment. Plus with so many internet shops saying 'out of stock' for exactly what I'm looking for - chances are I'd get there and they wouldn't have any in.

When you say custom builders - is this an online order thing, or are you saying to go and talk to the local cabinet maker?

Good quality wood with a good sealant and a good coat to keep water out will last for ever, maybe the tracks might come loose, super glue them back on.

I’ve had mine for just under a year and before that previous owner had them for 12

That is fantastic news. I'll go for a wooden one then as that's my preference (if I can find one)- and will look at sealing it. Waiting after sealing won't be an issue as I'm planning on running empty for a few weeks anyway to monitor timers, thermostats, etc and ensure that all is correct and as it should be before introducing the new family member. Just got to be able to find something suitable.

Cheers

-Adam-

Last edited:
Agree with herptology - a well sealed timber one is the best for sure. Will cost you a bit more than a melamine but worth it.
There are a few custom reptile enclosure builders who have Facebook or online stores and will post flatpacked enclosures - not sure about timber ones though.
You should be able to give the reptile store a call as they might have a name of someone local if they don’t have stock of what you’re after. Definitely don’t drive 2 hours without calling them! Lol
A cabinet maker will probably charge a lot and not know what they’re doing unless they have built an enclosure before.
I bought a second hand timber enclosure too and sanded it back and sealed with water based polyurethane and silicon.

Thanks all.

I don't have facebook so am stuck to online stores at this stage.

If I can get my hands on one of these - do you think that this would be acceptable for the long run? This one is 1200x600x600 (or 4ft x 2ft x 2ft).
63ae8dd535459e6ddaa9950601158f8d_M.jpg

https://reptileone.com.au/products/housing/46166bk

I looked at those reptile one enclosures but the mesh top concerned me in terms of heat loss so I ended up getting ones with solid melamine or timber tops. It’s a shame they’ve done that because the glass bit is helpful for a heat mat - but there is heaps of tips on here on how to make a heat tile if you search it up.

I looked at those reptile one enclosures but the mesh top concerned me in terms of heat loss so I ended up getting ones with solid melamine or timber tops. It’s a shame they’ve done that because the glass bit is helpful for a heat mat - but there is heaps of tips on here on how to make a heat tile if you search it up.

Thanks Melmy. In regards to the mesh - Would the fix be as simple as just getting a bit of wood the same size to sit on top. I'm looking at having heat mats instead of a basking lamp so there's no need for me to have the mesh unless there's something I'm missing.

I did a ebay search too per @cagey 's suggestion - but it seems that availability and variety is slim pickings at the moment for a 4ft'er. If the mesh is the only issue and can be fixed by just placing a bit of wood on the top - maybe that's a solution? Do you think that would work?

...Although I like the idea of stacking another ontop if I end up getting another herp down the track (not that I would ever contemplate that ;)) - and not sure if this cage is 'stackable'.

I’ve peices of black melamine cut to size sitting on top of the mesh on my new reptile one viv. Works a treat and looks pretty neat too. They are removable to so I’ll be able to take one of them off in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back