6 fingered rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy

Reaction score
Hello all.
When breeding rats do you guys and gals try to prevent inbreeding
or does it not matter?

i have never thought about in breeding , i have the same breeder females and the same males, every now and again i keep a few females so i can feed off my older breeders so i suppose i in breed all the time :|
never had a two headed 6 footed rat yet though :D

Domestic rats and mice are already so inbred that they're virtually clones of each other. Contrary to popular belief among reptile keepers, inbreeding effects don't increase indefinately over successive generations. The lines of domesticated mice won't be affected by further inbreeding, no matter how many generations you put them through. It's actually very important for these lines to remain inbred for the sake of laboratory studies, so that they remain genetically similar and studies carried out in a lab here in Melbourne can be compared to studies carried out in European or American labs (yes, this is irrelevant for your pythons ;) ).

Just checked my litter of rats born yesterday, father/daughter combo. They are all fine, all only have 1 head each etc. Guess it doesnt matter.

I have that many rats i do not worry about inbreeding. Besides the rats i breed usually tend to become snake food at one stage or another. I usually keep most of the females once i can tell the sex of the litters but the males become food. Every now and again it i will add a new nale or fenale rat to ny collection to add some new blood in the group but i have that many females and males i have little worry about such things.

Re: RE: 6 fingered rats

Sdaji said:
inbreeding effects don't increase indefinately over successive generations.

Inbreeding depression is a well documented phenomenon. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statement?

RE: Re: RE: 6 fingered rats

I think the snake is going to digest them the same either way. I reckon 6 fingered, 2 headed rats are going ot be better for the snakes as there is more meat per rat. Though i spose the extra head might make it a bit harder to swallow ;)

RE: Re: RE: 6 fingered rats

6 fingers would be handy for the Deliverance rats to pick a banjo with.

The real need is to breed a rat that will just up and die exactly when you want it to so you can feed you pet. :idea:

If I had room it'd be cool to breed, but how different are the costs of breeding vs buying frozen dead ??

*goes off to find out .... :p

I don't know if I have differentl mice to you guys but I accidently left 1 male with about 4-5 of his sisters and out of the resulting litters there were a few with missing tails (I know this happens now and then anyway) and legs (yes thats right, only 3 legs) so I froze them all young and have tried to keep a variety of bloodlines since.

DiamondAsh - not much difference if you value your time at all, I'm very close to giving up breeding rodents altogether, I already gave up breeding rats. It just so cheap getting them off a big rodent breeder like Pythoninfinite, if you have the freezer space to buy 100 of each size at a time. It costs about a dollar a mouse (give or take depending on size) to buy them, or you can spend more time cleaning up after and feeding your pets food than your pets.

Nagraj said:
Sdaji said:
inbreeding effects don't increase indefinately over successive generations.

Inbreeding depression is a well documented phenomenon. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statement?

Inbreeding effects don't increase indefinately over successive generations. Inbreeding depression certainly is a phenomenon which exists, but it can't continue to increase with each generation indefinately because eventually all genetic variation is lost, so each generation is identical. This is a well known and understood phenomenon (lab mice and rats are brilliant examples and there is no shortage of lab studies on them!). Probably the most well studied example is Drosophila melanogaster, new inbred lines are routinely produced many, many times each year in countless labs all over the world. There are many thousands of papers in scientific journals documenting these studies, some of my friends have carried some of them out. In some cases/species/populations, inbreeding depression doesn't occur at all at any stage. I could write several pages on the topic, but when I used to do that sort of thing around here it wasn't greatly appreciated :lol:

Interestingly, in some cases, it is possible to get two inbred lines of animals which are perfectly healthy, each can be inbred indefinately without any problem at all, you can cross them and the first generation can be perfectly healthy, but if those offspring are bred to each other, or bred back to members of the original lines, there can be severe inbreeding depression. A very similar situation exists with naturally occuring populations (either different populations of different species/subspecies or even just different populations of what would generally be called the same subspecies) which are crossed to produce healthy hybrids, but the next and subsequent generations can be mildly to severely affected by inbreeding depression (which is caused by the initial outbreeding). Outbreeding depression (crossing individuals from different populations/taxa) is also a well documented phenomenon. Rennie: for this reason, you'll be better off keeping mouse lines seperate, although in all liklihood you'll never run into a problem with inbreeding or outbreeding depression in the mouse lines which are widely available, no matter what you do.

Okay, I've probably already exceeding the readable length of a thread, and said I wouldn't go on for too long, so I'll stop there ;)

Rennie said:
I don't know if I have differentl mice to you guys but I accidently left 1 male with about 4-5 of his sisters and out of the resulting litters there were a few with missing tails (I know this happens now and then anyway) and legs (yes thats right, only 3 legs) so I froze them all young and have tried to keep a variety of bloodlines since..

The tail less are most prolly Minx or Manx or something, a simple recessive trait i think. Ive had the same happen thing happen to me when breedig mice that came from a "fancy Rodent" breeder..

Matt

when i read the title i thought some Micheal Jackson s--t was goin down.....except with rats......hey the more fingers, the more nutririon little Peaches gets

The tailless ones I can understand, I used to get a few of those back then but I've never before or since seen them born missing legs and there were a few at the same time which made me think it was a genetic problem not just a freak. I dunno.

Sdaji - I don't have a problem reading your long posts (sometimes twice) its just trying to understand them where I have problems :? we're not all doing Uni degrees :lol: I'm not saying stop posting your long posts I'm sure some of your posts make perfect sense to some people (then again I know some of your posts make no sense to anyone) and even I still find some of them informative (the ones that make sense like this one not the ones about turnips or fuzzywumpledunks or whatever it was)

alienpunk - sweet, I'll be in touch

Rennie, the manx genes are in all my mice, maybe you got them from some I gave you.... but never had tripods, suppose that throws a spanner in the works!

You remember that lot don't you, I gave you about 20 pinkies/fuzzies which you left in the freezer at Amber's and Judy found them while looking for meat for dinner :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rennie said:
.........found them while looking for meat for dinner :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote

sounds like she found dinner then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back