6 month old Diamond Python - how much to feed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
0D8A3556.jpg0D8A3575.jpg
Hi All, Im sorry for not responding sooner, I didnt realise it was in discussion or I would have provided clarity earlier.

The hatchling in question was from a Gosford Integrade Diamond, 'Princess' on my website. I also have traditional Diamonds, "Marty" on my website.
(pics attached for reference)

I have hatchlings of both types and both of these were offered to choose from - the integrade was the one chosen and ate a fuzzie on 23/6 and I provided a care sheet, offered post sale support and explained that I could not guarantee its colour, however if it turns out like last years hatchling (one of my fav's) then it might have yellow, but no I could not guarantee.

I can understand the confusion especially at a young age due to some breeders crossing breeds, but its definately not a coastal and my policy is not to cross bred my snakes.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion and sorry again for the late response. :)

If anybody wants to PM me any questions please do so.

Bobby-van / Robert, Thanks again for contacting me yesterday to help you with the questions you had and If I can assist you with anything else please dont hesitate to contact me. Thanks

When you say gosford inter grade are you suggesting it's a wild caught inter grade or just an inter grade that was bred in gosford. What did you notify licencing authority inter grade or diamond because my understanding from reading the ops thread was that it is a diamond and as such upon receiving should have filled out an animal movement advise to licensing authority recording what species etc

No its not a wild caught snake, all my snakes have been purchased and recorded accordingly .... It was bred from the Gosford area and is a Gosford Integrade Diamond. I also have traditional Diamond - as per pictures provided. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers :)

I had always considered Port Stephens as the "Line" where diamonds changed into intergrades.ie diamonds to the south intergrades north. In the past, I have always heard Gosford animals referred to as Diamonds. Perhaps as animals get moved around more, with the inevitable escapes the intergrade area has increased. I guess it is difficult to classify animals at the extremes of the intergrade range, to being either diamond or carpet.

I agree wokka, I've never heard of anyone refer to gosford diamonds as intergrades. Rather they quite proudly say they are pure diamonds. Calling them gosford intergrades is very confusing and to me goes against everything that was previously accepted by most.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah look, just to put the record straight, I think whatever we appreciate in the appearance/personality of a snake is very subjective. My earliest post in this thread where I suggested it was a Coastal implied no criticism of the animal at all, because I don't think that one is "better" than the other at all. I grew up with only bush animals as a reference, so the turning of snakes into some sort of designer fashion commodity is still something that I'm uneasy about, and I'm not remotely interested in owning the latest morphs of anything.

There is something fantastic about seeing a normal coloured python curled up in the sun in the bush - cryptic colouration, discreet location - and this thrills me far more than seeing the latest high-priced,washed-out or lollipop coloured, polka dotted fabrication of doubtful heritage. (I'm making a very subjective assessment here - some people love 'em... I don't...)

One of the problems which is a natural flow-on from the ease we have in breeding these things now, is that after a generation or two, unless you know the breeder and their ethics, you never know what genetics you are buying when you make a transaction, and often they don't even know what genetics they are selling. This is especially true when it comes to the east coast carpets - we are now possibly 4 or five generations into the captive breeding thing - you buy what looks like a Diamond... and low & behold... it produces some babies that are identical to Coastals... This can ONLY be because it has had the Coastal influence added in previous breedings unless, and correct me if I'm wrong, we DON'T get Coastals, or anything that looks like them, in Diamond country...

I spent hundreds of hours on APS & other sites debating whether crossbreeding of Carpets (in particular) is a bad thing, and my ultimate opinion is still the same - it's like putting all the primary colours together - you end up with crap brown. It may take a while, but eventually the genetics will be so mixed up that no one will be able to guarantee the heritage of any animal they sell, especially if the species has many closely related geographic variations. If you want to breed Diamonds, even your perfectly Diamond looking breeding stock, unless you caught it yourself, will not necessarily produce baby Diamonds.

This has to be the eventual outcome of all the indiscriminate, poorly documented breeding that's going on at the moment. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Shiresnakes was deceitful or dishonest in any way, it's just a fact that despite the best of intentions, these days no breeder can guarantee the heritage of their animals if the breeding stock they purchased themselves was captive bred itself. It's all very well to say that this is OK as long as the breeder acknowledges the mixed heritage of their animals. This only works until the animals find their way into the collections of those who don't keep records of such things, then all history is lost...

Not a criticism or a lament... just a comment :)

Jamie

so completely off topic, and i know this isnt the place to ask but cant work out whats happened... since upgrading my membership on this site so im able to sell, ive lost the ability to post new threads. obviously i havent, but it appears i have. has the site changed the last couple of weeks? i cant even find my previous threads... can someone possibly direct me to where i need to go to access

Go to Forums and at the top you should see Post New Thread in the category of your choice...

Jamie

Jamie, I pretty much agree with everything you have to say in that last post. I too much prefer a natural looking python over these shmancy looking morphs, again as you said, just my preference. Thats where I would ultimatley like to go with my breeding (when & if it happens), pythons that closely as possible represent what you would find in the bush. To me they`re perfect as they are. I also see that we need morphs to progress and promote the hobby. I don`t knock anyone who does like or breeds them, good on you for taking herptoculture to new heights.

I am also not trying to degrade any breeders, just pointing out that the line in the sand between whats called a diamond and whats called an intergrade is very blurry. I mean really, exactly what is a "Gosford Intergrade Diamond"? This is what I was banging on about in the early part of this thread, instead of telling a newbie that they`ve bought the wrong thing, why don`t we ask the breeders the tough questions?

I have 4 intergrades and embarrassingly can`t tell you anything about them. This is partly from my niave, indiscriminent purchasing when I first got into the hobby. I love those snakes though and can`t part with them, but if I breed them I am already wrestling with the problem of what to advertise them as because they were sold to me as intergrades but I really wouldn`t have a clue what bloods in there. I think there is an incredible number of "intergrades" out there that are simply diamond cross carpet but because they are undesirable ( though very beautiful a lot of the time) they are sold as intergrades.

I commented on another thread some time back the term intergrade should be replaced with something else, maybe more locality based such as Port Mac, Coffs Coast, Northern Diamond, Port Stephens Diamond etc. I`m no expert so I would love some others who are more qualified to give some input, maybe its a stupid idea that will blur things more!

Can I leave you with some pics to show how hard it can be for newcomers purchasing snakes. This fellow was sold to me as a diamond, I agree that if I was more knowledgable I would have had reservations about his pedigree due to him and his parents displaying a lot of carpet/coastal influence.
RIMG0411.jpg

Now some shots of his parents that I was told were Port Stephens locality diamonds.
2010%20father.jpg2010%20mother.jpg
Of course looking at them now I can see they have a strong carpet influence and would by most people be called intergrades but my point is that the guy who bred him, and I mean no ill toward him, very experienced breeder, extremely helpful before, during and after the sale and I still chat with him occasionally, is very strong in his opinion that they are pure diamond and not intergrades.

There are a couple other examples on APS recently where people have posted there young "pure" diamonds that look more like intergrades. But it seems in some of those cases because the OP is a long time member no one questions them.

I know some people are sick of this diamond/intergrade debate but it needs to continue to try to properly define what makes a diamond and what makes an intergrade.

Thats my rant!

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. Shiresnakes diamonds are gorgeous, so are his gosford diamond intergrades, id just like some clarification on that name is all.
But yeah those diamonds are good!

Hi Norm, thanks for the post. I should clarify though, and I can see where the impression came from, that I wasn't for a moment suggesting that the OP "bought the wrong thing..." he/she probably bought what was appealing, therefore it was "the right thing...!" But it just came with the wrong name... I fully understand the dilemma with regard to heritage... as I've seen in another thread - Diamonds in the US going for near $1000, GTPs for $300+ - this is because "true" Diamonds are almost impossible to find OS due to the fetish they have for cross-breeding. Probably the only way you can guarantee getting a true Diamond over there is to order a wild-caught one from a smuggler in Gosford. Sadly, that's the way it's going here too... I've seen Murray Darlings for sale on websites over there for several thousand dollars each as well...

Until this thread, I had never heard of "Gosford diamond intergrades" - Gosford is smack in the middle of classic Diamond country, and I haven't seen one example of a wild snake from that area which exhibits intergrade characteristics. Maybe they exist, and if anyone has photos I'd love to see them, but in my experience all the snakes I've seen from that area have the classic small rosettes (4-5 scales) and a white to golden yellow spot on every scale. This patterning can be either bold or reduced to almost black, but it is always there to some extent. That's what I call a Diamond. The further north you go, the larger the rosettes get, until the pattern begins to resemble that of a Carpet and the individually dotted scales become duller and more brownish. That's what I call an Intergrade.

Here in the Port Macquarie region we get snakes with both Diamond and Carpet characteristics, but they ALWAYS have both to some extent - never fully classic Diamond and never fully Coastal Carpet, and they can range in colour from vivid yellow-gold to dull brown.

I've been a poor recorder of the animals we see around here, and usually I don't carry my pocket Digi cam with me, but will endeavour to photograph a few when they start moving again in the warmer weather so you can see the variation.

Jamie

Cheers Jamie, "bought the wrong snake" was perhaps a bad choice of words. I meant...argh you know what i meant.
Sounds like you & i are on the same wavelength when it comes to diamonds& intergrades. Id really love to see some pics of some if you get the chance, as you can probably tell by my involvement in similar debates, its something Im very interested/enthusiastic about. Diamonds & intergrades are my favourite snakes and i simply want to learn more about them.

No worries Norm - I share your enthusiasm for these pythons! Like Eastern Water Dragons, a truly majestic reptile and as handsome as any lizard on the planet, on the east coast Diamonds and Intergrade pythons are very much taken for granted. Coming from WA a few years ago, where encounters with large reptiles are a rarity in the SW unless you know where to look, being on the mid-north coast makes me feel like a kid in a toyshop - the common fare around our house consists of the pythons, Lacies, RBBs and down the road, large numbers of Water Dragons. Some of the Lacies & pythons we see almost daily - I think I'm a lucky man!

Jamie

Yeah your very lucky. I have it on good authority that the bush around my place used to be full of pythons, this would be back in the 40's/50's by the age of the guy who told me this. Sadly I've never seen one. Interestingly i live in what i would say is diamond country but he told me they were "carpet snakes"...intergrades?

Yeah your very lucky. I have it on good authority that the bush around my place used to be full of pythons, this would be back in the 40's/50's by the age of the guy who told me this. Sadly I've never seen one. Interestingly i live in what i would say is diamond country but he told me they were "carpet snakes"...intergrades?

The local and colloquial names for these things can never be taken as fact - the people who use them have often never seen anything else to compare them with, and the names just get passed on through the generations. One of the problems we have now is the inventing of new names such as "northern rainforest diamonds" and now "Gosford intergrade diamonds" etc... which are simply marketing ploys to make them seem more exclusive - all it does is confuse newcomers to the hobby and cause disharmony when old and cynical blokes like myself dispute them.

But I guess it's what happens when these things become saleable commodities - people are on the lookout for a marketing edge.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back