6Ft fish tank lid help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwallader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So i have a 6ft glass tank that i now want to make a lid for and use for a mertens water monitor hatchling. so I'm having trouble thinking of a design that will be secure enough to make sure he can't escape but still provide lot of ventilation for 2ftx2ft of water and allowing heat to escape from the 125 watt globe to provide a heat gradient.

If you have any suggesting of photos of similar hoods then i would be very appreciative :)

Cheers

Most larger aquariums will stock wooden hoods for that sized tank. They have a hinged lid for easy access but the only problem is that the back of these hoods are open. Then you use a staple gun to add some plastic gutter guard to the back opening and you have a secure hood with ventilation across the entire back of the tank. They're not that expensive either. Make some phone calls!

Get one made that is about 250mm in height (internal) so you can fit a large dome reflector in it. Get wire on the bottom of the hood and normal timber hinged on top of the hood with a couple of large reptile vents cut into it. You can drill one round hole in the top so any plugs can come out.

the tank i should have added is 65cm deep so pet shops only sell up to 60 deep so i will have to built one, the only real problem I'm having is sourcing mesh i don't like the idea of the shape silver chicken wire as i have seen heaps on monitors rub their nose back and forth over it, but can't find a place that sells crime mesh or alike in sheets?

the tank i should have added is 65cm deep so pet shops only sell up to 60 deep so i will have to built one, the only real problem I'm having is sourcing mesh i don't like the idea of the shape silver chicken wire as i have seen heaps on monitors rub their nose back and forth over it, but can't find a place that sells crime mesh or alike in sheets?

Try a glass place they sometimes have crim safe cost money though.

As Ssssnakes mentioned, used PLASTIC gutter mesh. If it's not wide enough, then either cable tie or literally sew 2 rows of mesh together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back