Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cordylus and Qldmorelia, could you please refresh my memory here. Do you support the crossing breeding in a private capacity of different species, sub-species or both?

I'm not a fan of crossing subspecies in Australia but please, the aesthetics argument really is stupid. They are some great looking snakes and if they were purely line bred they would be on everyones wish list.

And for those using the what's wrong with pure argument, well nothing. But you can have great looking Bredli, great looking Jungles aaaand the third option of great looking BrunglesTM which is why people do it.

I too would like to see a whole clutch and the percentage of 'average' looking animals within it.

HI Dave,
Personally I'm ok with crossing sub species, but don't really get into crossing species. I think the differences between subs isn't all that great and consider them just colour morphs of the same thing.
Though if that's what your into and the laws in your state allow you to cross species good luck and all the best, but I'm not a buyer.

Yasser is being kind enough to show us some of his animals, keep in mind that he lives in the U.S and all you people want to do is bag his animals and call them ugly.
GROW UP PEOPLE!!!! If you don`t like them Don`t reply! The majority of you seem so miserable im surprised you havn`t thought about putting a rope around your necks yet!

Totally agree with ya Geck82...well said!

And Yasser, fantastic animals mate, I envy what you do over there and only wish I could be apart of it. And for the halfwits that have made negative comments...only shows how miserable & jealous you are because you can't produce even half an animal like that!

Phewww, that feels better :D

Last edited:
Yasser! Welcome, though I must warn you it's a tough crowd your playing too. Believe me.
Please stick around though. You have more experience on this topic than anyone in Australia, and I for one am keen to hear your thoughts. Some of the members may get a little over excited at times, but the future of our nation is at stake. They want to keep things (kind of )pure for our children, and our childrens children.
Is it true that only 5% of hybrids are good looking and all the others need to be frozen?
I dont understand why any snake would be frozen reguardless of weather it is considered good looking or not.
People dont freeze their kids if they come out ugly

just as a matter of personal interest, how many of you who support cross breeding have any more than five years experience under your belts ??? i have not come across one long term keeper who support's cross breeding yet..........

I've been keeping for over 20 years and I'm ok with it. I've plenty of friends who have been keeping longer than that and also don't see it as a big issue, but they can't be bothered getting on here and trying to change anyones mind. I think you may be suprised by some of the keepers who think we (you) are making a big deal over nothing

I dont understand why any snake would be frozen reguardless of weather it is considered good looking or not.
People dont freeze their kids if they come out ugly

Guess it has ALOT to do with money, and it would have to, i can't see any other reason for breeding such snakes with eachother apart from greed and as i think lector pointed out, apparently people overseas are willing to pay for these things.

If that's true shows how much actually 'breeding' means to them, more like let's make a bigger buck.

only shows how miserable & jealous you are because you can't produce even half an animal like that

It's not that we can't, it's that we don't want to tamper with what we should'nt *pet pet*

Even if they were pure and looked like that i still would'nt go them, best looking pythons to me are olives, gtps, and carinata's.

i've generally found that the only people who are for this sort of thing are the ones who have nothing even remotely nice in their collection LOL :rolleyes:

"

.......Your never going to stop people crossing snakes. For you, It may be a nice idea but it's never going to happen. If we can all agree on that point, the next question, and the real question is how do we regulate it.
If we keep skipping back to the "yeah but ya shouldn't do it" line there will never be a solution.
So we at QldMorelias have spent alot of time in the lab trying to come up with a solution to your question.

"what can we as 'responsible' keepers; do to ensure that 'pure' lines remain pure?
I've thought about it; and haven't a clue; "

The answer my friends is to live and let live. People are going to cross their carpets with or without the all important stamp of approval from APS members. To keep lines pure those who do cross their carpets will need to feel they can be open about it without being flamed by the purists.
So purists repeat after me " I wouldn't buy them, I don't like crosses, but each to their own"
If you can memorise that simple little line those who do go down the designer path won't need to palm them off as something else,.. if that's what's happening. As so many of these comments show there is room for both. And people if you want to keep some of your animals locale specific and some designer animals, well that's ok too.

After reading your 'enlighting' reply ...thanks :) I agree; we wont stop it...
Doesn't mean we'll support it ;)

I've been keeping for over 20 years and I'm ok with it. I've plenty of friends who have been keeping longer than that and also don't see it as a big issue, but they can't be bothered getting on here and trying to change anyones mind. I think you may be suprised by some of the keepers who think we (you) are making a big deal over nothing

Yes i would agree with them its a storm in a tea cup. Still it is often quite amusing what some of stuff ppl come up with, the most funny is when ppl say hybrids cant look good or when ppl dont realise that current taxonomy is most likely incorect and many names will change. I wonder how many would change their stance if the eastern carpets were lumped together, it would be quite funny i think, especially with those who are ignorant enough to think crossing something with the same name cant be an unatural hybrid. Even more funny are those that think some stupid scaleless, tripple sunset swirl hypomelanistic snake is somehow better than a hybrid and will be suitable for release to replenish wild populations.

Yes i would agree with them its a storm in a tea cup. Still it is often quite amusing what some of stuff ppl come up with, the most funny is when ppl say hybrids cant look good or when ppl dont realise that current taxonomy is most likely incorect and many names will change. I wonder how many would change their stance if the eastern carpets were lumped together, it would be quite funny i think, especially with those who are ignorant enough to think crossing something with the same name cant be an unatural hybrid. Even more funny are those that think some stupid scaleless, tripple sunset swirl hypomelanistic snake is somehow better than a hybrid and will be suitable for release to replenish wild populations.

Chris I think you'll also find there's quite a lot of old time keepers that don't agree with it;
one quoted to me today 'fools that haven't a clue'...some of these keepers don't even use computers;
let alone get on APS.
Not wanting to sound rude; but I suggest you put some time in the field; it may very well help you gain a better understanding; as to knowing what your talking about.

Last edited:
sorry mate although they are real nice lookin snakes id probably prefer a hypo bredli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back