Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris I think you'll also find theres quite a lot of old time keepers that dont agree with it;
one quoted to me today 'fools that haven't a clue'...some of these keepers dont even use computers;
let alone get on APS.
I also suggest you put some time in the field; it may very well help you gain a better understanding;
as to knowing what your talking about.

I understand where you are coming from, but you need to realise "the hobby" as ppl call it isnt really much to do with herpetology for many, but rather breeding trendy snakes that can make money. Im curious as to what sort of things i would see in the field that would change my thoughts on the matter? I doubt im going to find some population of scaleless snakes with many other trendy deleterious mutations thriving in the wild, until i see that my opinion on the matter is unlikely to change. Goldfish are a great example of what pure line breeding can do, do you really think having our native snakes go down that path is any better than hybridising them? as i said earlier its just a matter of time differance, hybridising stuffs things up real quick while line breeding takes many generations to achieve a similar level of destruction of the natural genetics.

All the gold fish I put in my mums pond were fancy types,but when they bred most of the fry were wild types,even some of the gold adults turned back to green-gray. Isnt this why you can buy feeder goldfish so cheap.If they were hybrid,they will never go back to wild type, as there is no wild type.
Got any more examples?

STILL WAITING :rolleyes:

oh that's right ...... Albino's :oops::rolleyes:

Scaleless death adders are a good example of pure bred rubbish but im quite aware they arnt pythons. Look at goldfish, dogs, drosphilia or virtually any domesticated animal, to think pythons are magically differant is just ignorant IMO. Its just that "the hobby" is young and you can only trash the natural genetics slowly by inbreeding. I dont really have a problem witht the trendy designer breeders whether they hybridise, line breed or both, but i dont see how they are achieving anything relevant to herpetology or causing any damage to anything. Thats why its just a storm in a tea cup IMO. There are far more damaging things related to keeping reptiles such as freighting reptiles and keeping species that arnt local to your area, most do both of these things, I certainly do. Others are also careless enough to let reptiles escape, i have no doubt there will be wild hybrids and transfer of new diseases as the result of captive snakes escaping, that should that be more of an issue than how ppl make designer snakes IMO.

All the gold fish I put in my mums pond were fancy types,but when they bred most of the fry were wild types,even some of the gold adults turned back to green-gray. Isnt this why you can buy feeder goldfish so cheap.If they were hybrid,they will never go back to wild type, as there is no wild type.
Got any more examples?

Thats a great experiment to show gene expression and evolution, but i dont think you can make them go back to the ORIGINAL wild type simply by putting them in a pond. Then again maybe you are right, i just let my dogs wander free for a little bit, so look out they will no doubt soon become true original wild type wolves and start causing a rukus :lol:

Seriously though i would like to see someone turn a labradoodle into a true wildtype wolf.

There are far more damaging things related to keeping reptiles such as freighting reptiles and keeping species that arnt local to your area, most do both of these things, I certainly do. Others are also careless enough to let reptiles escape, i have no doubt there will be wild hybrids and transfer of new diseases as the result of captive snakes escaping, that should that be more of an issue than how ppl make designer snakes IMO.

Keepin it real cris....Haha.

The ones of you worried about the "state of your native animals"....what cris just stated...is way more damaging... than what someone in another country does with their animals.
Worry about yourselves first because..... this very reason cris just mentioned.... will be ( or has been) the downfall of your "pure" and "local" animals in the future.

Like I said a few post back....there's at least 2 post a month on here.... about someone losing their snake out of enclosure. Some get them back....some don't. You think because a carpet (or whatever) isn't native to the area....that they're not going to breed if they get in the bush?

D.

Sorry guys...but if you turn away from reptiles for a moment and look at every other animal, technology, medical, crime and even politics in Australia, wether we like it or not...we are on the same trend as America. We might be 10 years behind America, but were on the same path as them in everything you can imagine, including our pythons!

If you don't want to support Hybrids and the people (clowns) that create them...than fantastic, keep it too yourself and stop commenting on them, cause you've got know idea how old fashioned you sound with the rediculous statements you keep going on about!

So maybe you should just get with the trend and realise your fighting an up-hill battle that you will never ever win!

P.S. Well said cris

i was going to say there alright at a glace

but now at closer inspecting my eyes are bleeding cuz they hurt some much from seeing the butchery to a standard bredli you can keep that rubbish in the us thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back