8th-Grade Student Uses 3D Printer To Replace Lizard's Lost Tail

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
"...The fact that one of our middle school students is going to use it to design a prosthetic tail for a bearded dragon is really cool."
By D'Ann Lawrence White, Patch Staff | May 19, 2018

NEW PORT RICHEY, FL -- What happens if your pet bearded dragon accidentally loses its tail?

Well, if you're Corbin Jordan, an eighth-grader at Chasco Middle School in Port Richey, you use the school's new 3D printer to make a new one.

That was Jordan's all-consuming mission after learning that the pet bearded dragon belonging to Pasco Middle School Principal Brandon Bracciale lost the end of its tail.

"Without a tail, it does cause problems," said Bracciale. "Bearded dragons are naturally really good swimmers so he has a hard time swimming without a full tail."

Jordan designed a new tail for the lizard that not only connected to the pet's existing stub but had the flexibility to move like a real tail.

After the school received it's 3D printer, students used it to make items like fidget spinners. But Bracciale never dreamed a student would find a way to make a prosthetic lizard tail.

"...The fact that one of our middle school students is going to use it to design a prosthetic tail for a bearded dragon is really cool," said Bracciale. "It kind of blows your mind."

Jordan explains the process he used to recreate the lizard tail in a Youtube video.

Tbh I think it’s rather pointless- exactly why does this beardie need a full tail to swim? It’s not like he’s got access to any large body of water...

Cool idea I guess, but I don’t see the prosthetic as in any way ‘improving’ the quality of life.
If anything may cause issues (issue with shedding skin being a big one) and might also just be a literal deadweight to the lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back