A better life =)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dippy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought i'd post up one of my happy stories lol. As a few people on here know i am a member of WIRES (Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service )

Anyway i got a call the other day from Blue Mountains Reptile Rescue and Rehabilitation Center in regards to a Coastal Carpet Python that came into their care about 2 months ago. Apparently he was fed in his cage and some of his bark flooring had pierced the roof of his mouth, and causing it to become infected. I can only imagine this poor fellow would be in immense pain and discomfort, Apparently the previous owner and vet had never seen his tongue leading them to the conclusion that he didn't have one and because of a lack of funds to pay for his treatment, Surrendered him over to the vet.... After 2 months in the rehabilitation center he is back in great condition and i was offered the chance to take him on.

I received him on Sunday and i don't think i have seen his tongue stop flickering lol He was weighed at about 2.2 Kilo's, Wormed and microchipped and after an approximate measurement he is about 175cm Svl or 184cm, snout to tail. I'm hoping this guy will feel much more accustom to my little herp family and has a chance at a better quality of life, He also has a an amazing temperment hence his new name Gentle George. I will post pics of him when i can =)

I just thought id post this as a little bit of a warning to people feeding in cages and just to congratulate those guys that have rehabilitated him and many other reptiles, We should all show our support for the rescue and rehab of our native animals and that way we can all contribute to the support our native fauna.

Cheers

Last edited:
That is a great story dippy. I have always been against bark in an enclosure.

its great to hear a story of a snake going back to good health! looking forward to seeing a pic

Good to know he is in good hands now :)

I didnt know that snakes could be micro chipped? :S Should I look into this? I live in SA btw.

Thanks all, I'm not sure how worth it is microchipping them as they should all be in secure cages anyway. But i suppose if it had somehow managed to escape and someone found it, at least then you would get it back lol.

I've also heard microchipping is a good way to prove a snake is yours if someone steals it!

Ok, so i finally got a couple of pics. The first one in of him at the Rehab center and the second being me and him having a handle. Sorry bout the quality, Dad took it on his iphone... Old guys and technology lol

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 106
Congrats and a heartwarming story mate. Some faith in humanity has been restored after reading your post. Lets hope it spreads a bit more awareness of feeding in cages

Nice post and congrats on the good outcome; they always suprise with their resiliance. Bet he'll end up your favourite aquisition now that you both have a bit of history together:).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WIRES take care of injured wild life and then release them? If the case was that he was owned by someone, what will be done with him once he is healthy?

National parks will get involved and decide the out come for the snake. In most cases the carer will get to keep the snake providing they have a reptile license. This is how it works with different carer groups. Clearly there would have to be some kind of proof to it being an escaped pet. Certainly looks like its enjoying it's time with u dippy.

Last edited:
Just on feeding in cages, whilst we all have our own ways of doing things, with my Woma, he is in a 52 litre tub and when he gets fed I place a white plastic plate in there, the same as I have done for every feed i have had him, strict routine. He is basically on the plate when I feed him and stays there until his feed is completely consumed.

Oh and my subby is Kritters Crumble.

Just looking at it from a different angle.

National Parks get involved for sure, the way I understand it as he was on someone elses licence... They had to email some paperwork or details requesting that the python be put on my licence hence how I now have him lol. And it's good to see another angle there Reptalica, I too use Kritters Crumble in my enclosures but I think having a feed box is safer as I am unsure what would happen if a piece was swallowed as it is quite small...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back