A curious query

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Houdini-The-Bluey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So the topics come up with a few friends and family members lately but none of us are too sure of the answer. We've all been wondering what petting feels like to a reptile. Ive read plenty of things on what people believe a reptile thinks of pats(some think they like it, others dont think they are etc.)
But never what the animal would be feeling when you do it, cats and dogs are understandable since your patting fur and skin but would it be different for reptiles?
What do you guys think about this?

depends on the mood of the animal, species, and personality. some(though quite rarely) will crave attention, others will be very skittish and bite when you put your hand near.- please note the craving thing is from what i've seen only something bearded dragons and maybe bluetongues do.

Beardies and possibly blueys are the only reptiles that would enjoy social interaction with people. Other reptiles will tolerate it to varying degrees, as Imported_tuatara has said.

I'd say beardies and blueys as well as some other lizards, definitely not snakes. However, in exotic species, such as tegus and uromastyx, they seem to like it a lot.

Probably feels like attempted predation to most reptiles.

But as above,it is definitely hard to deny beardies and blueys enjoy it, given they tap at the glass waiting for you. I've even seen a ladies beardies go nuts (seemingly with excitement) hearing her husband's car pull up. That blew my mind lol

My beardie loves being patted on the head... he'll climb over if he's on the ground and closes his eyes in preparation to be stroked.

From personal experience i definitely believe that at the very least, blue tongues enjoy some forms of affection, dont know too much about how beardies are with it as I've never had one myself but it sounds like they are quite similar with this.
It is nice to see what others opinions are on this though c:
I'm a new member to this fourm(although I've been watching it for quite awhile) but this has been a nice introduction, thanks everyone :D

Funny how people interpret reptile behaviour.

Agree completely with your observation. There were several threads on this forum years ago that I got involved in as a contributor to the discussion, that at times became robust and quite animated on this subject and also by extension the subject of reptiles feeling and expressing affection for and to their owners. Unfortunately I cant find them anymore which is a shame as the discussion in places was quite interesting.

I think the OP is asking a more technical question and wanting to know about the tactile sensory systems of reptiles and how it might be similar/different to mammals.
A really interesting question I have not thought of and know nothing about! ;)

Of course mammals have both positive and negative interpretations of tactile stimulation, such as stroking and hugging vs creepy crawly or unexpected poke as potential threat interpretations (leaving pain reception out of the discussion). Perhaps reptiles have both interpretations also, such as positive touch/stimulation to win over the female for mating for snakes???? (not so in blue tongues, males just bite and grab when they know the females ready)

Last edited:
i was gonna say how i've seen some large exotic lizards such as tegus and iguanas liking the attention, just decided to keep it native. :p
I'd say beardies and blueys as well as some other lizards, definitely not snakes. However, in exotic species, such as tegus and uromastyx, they seem to like it a lot.

I believe that my beardie doesn't really love the motion of petting itself the way a dog or cat does, but he definitely seems to like it - or he's just gotten used to the fact that it happens and that he can get a bit of extra warmth or food from the humans. In any case, he always comes over and seeks us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back