A few from around the 'Gong (early Oct)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here are a few photos from the last couple of weeks. It has been hard to get out much due to the strange weather. I had hoped to go on a number of walks on the long weekend but there was just too much rain. I did get out for a few hours this morning before the rain once again returned.

Red-bellied Black Snakes (Pseudechis porphyriacus) vary in the amount of red on the flanks. This one that I found today was beautiful and much brighter than most that I see.
redbelly1.jpg

redbelly2.jpg

redbelly4.jpg

I found a single Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata).
marsh1.jpg

This Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) was about to shed.
smalleye1.jpg

Lesueur's Velvet Geckos (Oedura lesueurii) are common in an area not far from the 'Gong.
lesueurs1.jpg

lesueurs2.jpg

I think that this is one of the Harelquin Bugs. It was brightly coloured but glossy and I could not take a good photo of it.
bug.jpg

Swordgrass Browns are back again. This one looks like it recently emerged and the wings were in perfect condition.
SwordgrassBrown1.jpg

SwordgrassBrown2.jpg

This Australian Admiral was already quite tattered.
AusAdmiral.jpg

Bulldog Ants are huge!
bulldog1.jpg

I found this Native Roach while it was sunning itself in a small shrub. Its shape made me think "trilobite".
roach1.jpg

roach3.jpg

I am not certain but I think that this was a Flat Worm.
flatworm.jpg

This Spiny Crayfish was carrying a load of what I assume to be coelenterates. They look like giant Hydra. Does anyone know what they are?
spinycray1-1.jpg

Flowers -- I added a few more photos of spring flowers.

Calytrix -- they seem to have just commenced flowering in this area.
Calitris1.jpg

Fairies' Aprons -- these are quite strange little insectivorous plants. (Lentibulariacease)
fairyapron1.jpg

...dusty Sun Orchids -- I took this photo a few days after an incredible red dust storm that hit eastern Australia a couple of weeks ago.
orchid2.jpg

Pea. I really like this growth form. We have a number of species of yellow flowered peas where the flowers are clustered at the tip of the stems.
pea2.jpg

Misc flowers:
allium1_400.jpg
bauaeria1_400.jpg
flower1_400.jpg

flower2_400.jpg
gompho1_400.jpg
pea1_400.jpg

sydneyrose1_400.jpg
sydneyrose2_400.jpg
wax1_400.jpg

lambertia1_400.jpg
violet1_400.jpg
comesperma1_400.jpg

barea1_400.jpg
orchid1_400.jpg
orchid3_400.jpg

pea1_400-1.jpg
sundew1_400-1.jpg
pea3_400.jpg

Regards,
David

ive never seen an ant that big =S. or is that just really close-up.

Sweet pic's David, talk about the weather i wonted to get out as much as possibly in two weeks of holidays but unfortunately it looks like that is not gonna happen, Nice Flora shoot's by the way.
Thanks Tim.

I've never seen a RedBelly around Wollongong with a pale snout.

You mean the brown spot Nick?? That's funny because ALL the ones i've found around wollongong have had the brown nose, haha. It's a feautre i love about the red belly. Such a weird colouration.

Also..... i have notice that RBB's tend to be very vibrant red around my area. Actually....all the vibrant ones i have seen have also had the brown nose?? Has this trend been seen by anyone else??

Here are a few examples of RBB's from Wollongong i've encountered. Hope you don't mind me adding the pics, David. Sorry some are crappy, the juvie and release ones were taken long before i knew how to operate a camera.

Each picture is a DIFFERENT, RBB, with the exception of the juvenile.

PporphyriacusBulli11-09-2009.jpg

PporphyriacusBulli10-09-09.jpg

RBBrelease.jpg

Hatchyside.jpg

hatchytopview.jpg

Awesome photos. I should get out around here more often myself :)

I see both in the Illawarra, plenty with paling of the rotrum. Plus the biggest red belly I can even imagine, a few years back! Watched 2 redbellies mating last year below Brokers Nose, that was a first for me in the wild. I'll have to pay more attention to the rostral scale in the future though.

awesome pictures there mate! All i see around here is eastern browns, but im not complaining :)

black snake i found here in NW sydney has a very brown nose and extends all the way back to past the eye and has very vibrant red upper ventrals also,

I can beat that Rob, I found the biggest one I have seen In a local southern Sydney park, an honest 6 footer and very thick, that had a brown tail!, about the last 4 inches of it, it was that big it's tail tip was about as pointy as my little finger and it looked like it had just faded with size and age.. I have seen this snake on numerous occations... it's very impessive.

Nice pics David... considing the weather has been all sort.

Top pics David, were they taken in the RNP? Great macro work in the invertebrates.

Thanks, all, for the feedback. The red-belly was a brightly coloured individual.

Serpenttongue, I am always so busy with the technical aspects of taking photos that I have never really noticed the pale snout on some of the snakes. I will have to look back at my other pics from Wollongong.

Snakelove, it was hefty but I have seen bigger animals at Royal.

Baz, it has been wet and cool so I guess that is what brought out the roach. I have never before seen one in a shrub like that during the day.

Josh, thanks for the additional photos. It is good to see photos of other rbbs similar to the one that I photographed.

Watched 2 redbellies mating last year below Brokers Nose

That would have been a fantastic sighting, Serpentes.

I would love to see a giant animal like the 6 footer, Jason!

Tonsky, the pics were not from Royal. Most were from the hills near the 'Gong and then a sandy area a little further to the north.

Also, on another forum, I found out about a couple of the odd animals in this post.

spinycray1-1.jpg

These are "Temnocephalans, a type of Platyhelminth flatworm that lives almost exclusively on crayfish".

flatworm.jpg

"first worm-like animal may be a Nermertean". I looked these up on the web and ther Nermerteans are an obscure phylum of worms. I wonder how many people have heard of Nermerteans before?

Regards,
David

Thanks, all, for the feedback. The red-belly was a brightly coloured individual.

Serpenttongue, I am always so busy with the technical aspects of taking photos that I have never really noticed the pale snout on some of the snakes. I will have to look back at my other pics from Wollongong.

Snakelove, it was hefty but I have seen bigger animals at Royal.

Baz, it has been wet and cool so I guess that is what brought out the roach. I have never before seen one in a shrub like that during the day.

Josh, thanks for the additional photos. It is good to see photos of other rbbs similar to the one that I photographed.

That would have been a fantastic sighting, Serpentes.

I would love to see a giant animal like the 6 footer, Jason!

Tonsky, the pics were not from Royal. Most were from the hills near the 'Gong and then a sandy area a little further to the north.

Also, on another forum, I found out about a couple of the odd animals in this post.

spinycray1-1.jpg

These are "Temnocephalans, a type of Platyhelminth flatworm that lives almost exclusively on crayfish".

flatworm.jpg

"first worm-like animal may be a Nermertean". I looked these up on the web and ther Nermerteans are an obscure phylum of worms. I wonder how many people have heard of Nermerteans before?

Regards,
David

David,

Do you mind if i email that worm picture to two of my univeristy lecturers?? One gives the lectures worms, playhelminths etc and the other is a leading Forensic anthropologist. They will likely be able to give me an answer...

here's a "flatworm" that are commonly found around my house... I remember finding the blue ones under potplants as a toddler (yes, I spent my days finding weird stuff in the garden as sson as I could walk) and it was these weird things that amazed me about nature.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 77
Josh, that is fine. When you find out about these, would you let me know, please?

Jason, I also like to look for these obscure creatures.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back