a few hours herping at the hume weir

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would have to be the world dumbest thing iv seen to date! When you do get bitten and you will get bitten I hope you realise how dumb you are and were!

ok we are 14-16 so what if we love to do this sort of thing well we are doing somthing we love

i am not trying to give that impression, and no, we werent acting like we were catching tadpoles, before brandon handed the snake, i explained that it was highly venomous, and that IF it were to bite him, we would be in trouble and i definately didnt just hand him the snake , i told him what to do, and he was holding it for the time it took to take a pic, then put it down, geez guys, secondly disregard? me and james go herping all the time, and we are aware of the dangers, brandon WANTED to handle the brown, and we didnt want to be like "nah man if it bit you, you will die", because he was holding it for a few seconds and that is it, now specksta1er, if you actually knew what i was reffering to, or saw the pics, you would see that i wasnt saying "its head was too small, it couldnt bite me" i was saying its fangs couldnt penetrate the 2 socks that were on my hand, and yes i know it is the worlds 2 most venomous snake, this is bull*****, i share our herping pics and suddenly everyone has a go at us, you wonder why hardly anyone posts pics on here anymore, i really dont care what you guys think, i know the dangers, and i certainly dont think it was ok just coz there was a close hospital, we didnt PLAN to find the browns, we just did and we thought we would take pics, we also introduced a new face into the world of herps, but i know he isnt going to go off on his own and catch another brown, he isnt stupid

Ok, no offence but you can't just teach someone on the spot to handle a deadly snake! You're not an expert! Even people who handle venomous snakes as a living are under a huge risk, let alone someone who isn't even old enough to take a venomous snake handling course!
And you can't blame people for getting angry, you were hand king a highly venomous snake without any experience.
I would be wary of just handling a python in the wild let alone a brown snake!
I'm not being mean, I just can't believe you'd hold one, that's all.

ok guys we know what you are saying, we didnt have the right gear, or the right clothes, it was a spur of the moment idea to go herping and we were suprised at the finds

and before this brandon would have been scared and may have tried to kill a snake, now he will respect its privacy, he knows they arent evil and he may even take a pic, but he sure as hell isnt gonna jump in there and catch it

i know very well that on a warm day an EB would be a bigger challenge, that is quite obvious, but as i said this guy was shedding and wasnt in the best of moods, it was actually quite warm that day (sunday) and mr brown bolted when we released him

ok we are 14-16 so what if we love to do this sort of thing well we are doing somthing we love

Well it's not right if something you love can kill you! Even if you got to hospital you could still come out deformed or worse!
Yes it's good that you've educated him, but next time try something like a python. Snakeboii, was that your first time holding a snake?

Ok, no offence but you can't just teach someone on the spot to handle a deadly snake! You're not an expert! Even people who handle venomous snakes as a living are under a huge risk, let alone someone who isn't even old enough to take a venomous snake handling course!
And you can't blame people for getting angry, you were hand king a highly venomous snake without any experience.
I would be wary of just handling a python in the wild let alone a brown snake!
I'm not being mean, I just can't believe you'd hold one, that's all.
mate i know very well i am not an expert, and i know i cant teach him on the spot to handle it, i told him where to hold and to put it down if he didnt feel comfortable and that yes, it is a deadly snake, mate i hold them because im not scared of them, theres no need to be, yes it has the potential to kill me, but so does a car, a bus, a kangaroo, a lion, a staffy, a rottweiler, i respect them, but i dont fear them

Well it's not right if something you love can kill you! Even if you got to hospital you could still come out deformed or worse!
Yes it's good that you've educated him, but next time try something like a python. Snakeboii, was that your first time holding a snake?
actually his first time holding a snake was holding a juvenile brown a few minutes before hand

if it wanted, your spotted could kill you, mate how is it wrong that something you love can kill you?

Out of curiosity how many juveniles did you come across?
about 5, this was in a 30 sq meter area

Next time remember not to hold them by the tail...
erm its called tailing, and the adult brown was quite feisty, to hold it by the head, like we normally do was just about impossible

the size of the eb doesnt effect the toxisity of the venom. its mouth can still open wide enough to get its fangs in and then its all but over for you. surviving a bite from an eb doesnt mean you come out completely healthy it means you are alive but most likely your organs will fail you slowly throughout your life. not the best way to be if you ask me. all because you think you had some idea of what you were doing.

you now say you used a hook but earlier your mate said you had no equipment with you. hmmmm
sorry but i agree and think you are very stupid and need some education. if you are going to free handle then you want to know what you are doing and have the snake head in a position it cant turn and bite you like in the pic and then you wouldnt need the sock.

yes they had to learn somewhere but they didnt do that by using a sock. if anything they would use something thick like leather or better, plan better next time or it may well be your last.
ok first, i have said a million times, we didnt have anything else with us
we normally take leather welders gloves with us
i know very well that the age or size doesnt effect the venom, the babys fangs were NOT long enough to penetrate the sock
normally we do hold them by the head, in a way they cant get us, but we couldnt in this circumstance

Last edited:
Wow give the kid a break guys. He was just trying to share his experience with people who he thought would appreciate it. Fair enough they did a stupid thing but who hasn't? I'm sure he's learnt his lesson and after four pages of flaming probably won't be doing it again any time soon

to be honest saximus, the flaming isnt going to stop me herping, simple as that, while i know why people are getting so agro i just dint understand what the real issue is, is it my age? or that we indroduced a newbie to herping, or is it that we didnt have the gear with us?

yeh good point they dont have snakes in hospital
what? you make no sense

Noone wants to stop you from or discourage your herping, but we sure as hell arent going to encourage dangerous behaviour and give you a pat on the back

your friend said that if you get bitten youll learn but the thing is you can die in hospital where their is no snakes

just asking have any of u guys ever handled a adult brown snake i am not braging or anything but it's an amazing experiance, i/we where holding the 2nd most deadly snake.....so its a good feeling and it was my first time/holding a adult in my life so i am very happy with my self :)

its just funny that you guys think "oh he is too young to be handling snakes" or whatever you hate me for but how many stupid things did you do as kids,so calm down we did what we love and are still here, some people cant say the same

it doesnt matter how professional you are, you have as much risk of being bitten as we do
trained professionals are not invincible, look at steve irwin

just asking have any of u guys ever handled a adult brown snake i am not braging or anything but it's an amazing experiance, i/we where holding the 2nd most deadly snake.....so its a good feeling and it was my first time/holding a adult in my life so i am very happy with my self :)

Dont get me wrong im on your side but it certainly seems like your bragging, "its an amazing experience holding the 2nd most deadly snake..." and yes i have handled numerous adult browns but in a much safer manner ;)

Noone wants to stop you from or discourage your herping, but we sure as hell arent going to encourage dangerous behaviour and give you a pat on the back
yeh i know, but i didnt post these pics for a pat on the back, i wanted to show our finds and to be able to contribute to this site BUT im starting to think that, like all the other times we have been herping, i shouldnt post pics, coz you guys dont seem to appreciate it

Yeah what I mean is doing something you love isnt exactly right if it is extremely dangerous. And my spotted couldnt kill me, hes pathetic ;) :p

it doesnt matter how professional you are, you have as much risk of being bitten as we do
trained professionals are not invincible, look at steve irwin
So are you saying a professional handler has just as much chance of coping a bite as an amateur?
Steve Irwin exposed to him self to 1000's of deadly animals before one eventually killed him, Id like to see any amateur survive those odds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back