Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd2302

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a few questions, I have had my 6 month old coastal carpet for a few weeks and just thought I'd ask you helpful bunch a few questions I have.

Shedding/Handling/Feeding - I noticed over the last week or so that my snake's colouration has gotten darker and he is rapidly heading for a shed. Is handling around this time or feeding a problem during this time? He is due for a feed in a couple days but I was thinking I most probably should wait until he has shed all together before offering a feed, but still a little unsure. I haven't handled him since his colour got very dark, wondering if you can or not..

Also, just curious, I'm not sure whether or not when this particular snake reaches sexual maturity whether or not I want it to breed or not, is there anything I should do at this stage differently so the snake will be right to breed successfully?

Sorry if some questions I ask seem a little novice, I just want to get everything right.

Thanks a heap! :D

As far as feedsign/handling during shed, it's probably best to jsut leave them be until the shed is complete. Most snakes wont take a feed in the few days leading up to the actual shed anyway and generally their temperament becomes a tad more twitchy as they like to be left alone during shed times.

For breeding, if you're not going to breed once the snake is mature(males around 3, females around 4) nothing needs to be done. If you do plan on breeding then cooling each year will be necessary.

You should just leave he/she be until it has shed, especially don't feed before shed as it can cause problems with the shed.

As for the breeding part of it, you still have a couple years + before you should breed it.

Hope that helps.

As others have said. My female bhp is currently in shed. Probably shouldn't have handled her but I wanted to weigh her. She was all huffy and assumed the pose but she's harmless. As with most bhp's she just put on a show. I do however find that snakes are definitely more cranky when in shed. I've heard it may have to do with the milky eyes limiting their vision possibly? They usually like to be left well alone when in shed and I usually oblige. As for feeding ur taking a risk. Some will feed some wont depends on the snake. I've found that usually a hungry snake (womas, blackheads etc) will feed despite being in shed. Don't be surprised however if you end up wasting a thawed rat due to a snake in shed. Sexual maturity three years plus as long as she has decent size on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back