a fine autumn's day on a tarn shelf

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
There are some truly spectacular national parks in Tasmania. I visited one of these yesterday on a beautiful but crisp (12C, 53F) autumn day. Mt. Field National Park is only a little over an hour's drive from Hobart.
MtFieldLocation.jpg

On this trip, I followed a trail into the alpine country to visit an area known as the "Tarn Shelf". This site was gouged by a glacier about 12,000 years ago and there are numerous small lakes (tarns) that have formed in these depressions. What makes this site particularly interesting at this time of the year is the presence of Deciduous Beech (Nothofagus gunnii). These Tassie endemics are the only Australian shrub/tree that I know that drop their leaves in the autumn. For a short period of time, the alpine areas in Tasmania are a blaze of colour due to the dying leaves of these shrubs. The leaves should be their most colourful next week as they change from yellow to orange and red.

Here is a view of the habitat near the car park where I commenced the walk. The tarn shelf is above the dark cliffs in the centre of the photo:
TarnShelf1.jpg

Walking in Tasmania means climbing mountains. They are not particularly tall but they are still good for exercise.
TarnShelf11.jpg

These Tasmanian Snow Gums were numerous on the upper slopes.
NiveoscincusMetallicusHabitat.jpg

I found what I think to be a Metallic Skink (Niveoscincus metallicus) basking in the morning sun in this habitat. It amazes me how tolerant these snow skinks are to cold conditions.
NiveoscincusMetallicus1.jpg

A view of Seal Lake and Platypus Lake in the valley below:
TarnShelfSealPlatypusLakes3.jpg

... and again:
TarnShelfSealPlatypusLakes1.jpg

Further along, the tarn shelf became more visible. A hint of colour can be seen on the slopes above the shelf.
TarnShelf1a.jpg

Boardwalk has been constructed over much of the trail.
TarnShelf1b.jpg

After about an hour or so of climbing, I reached the tarn shelf. The colour of the Deciduous Beech was fantastic:
TarnShelf3.jpg

... the conifers are Pencil Pines (Athrotaxis cupressoides):
TarnShelf8.jpg

TarnShelf7.jpg

TarnShelf3b.jpg

... a close-up of the leaves of Deciduous Beech:
TarnShelfNothofagus1.jpg

... it really was a beautiful place:
TarnShelf6.jpg

These glacial lakes were the home of Galaxias, an ancient southern relative of trout. I saw what I think to be two species of these small fish.
galaxia2.jpg

galaxia1.jpg

I also saw these small freshwater shrimp in pools that did not contain Galaxias.
TarnShelfCrustacean1.jpg

Some pools had large numbers of tiny frogs. I think that they are in the genus Crinia but I don't know the species. This one was resting on the bottom:
crinia1.jpg

These are what I think to be Southern Snow Skinks (Niveoscincus microlepidotus). They were common in some sheltered areas. Early in the morning they were sluggish but in the afternoon, they were wary and hard to photograph. I watched some snapping up small gnats.
NiveoscincusMicrolepidotus1.jpg

NiveoscincusMicrolepidotus2.jpg

NiveoscincusMicrolepidotus4.jpg

Also, another of what I think to be Metallic Skink due to the enlarged paravertebral scales:
NiveoscincusMetallicus2.jpg

Young Pandani with new growth:
pandani1.jpg

Pencil Pine:
pencilPine1.jpg

pencilPine2.jpg

In the mid-afternoon, I began the walk back to the car. This is a view back to the tarn shelf:
TarnShelf9.jpg

This is a view of Lake Dobson, near the car park at the start of the trail. Another couple told me that I just missed seeing a Platypus that had been resting on a log in the water. I looked for awhile but unfortunately could not find the monotreme.
LakeDobson1.jpg

I saw this Bennett's Wallaby joey and its mum at the car park:
BennettsWallaby.jpg

This was a very enjoyable day.

Regards,
David

What stunning scenery it makes me wonder what will become of this world in 50 years or so.

David thanks so much for posting those photos! i am from tassie originally - grew up just outside Cradle Mountain NP and spent lots of time there - and also had a fair few visits to Mt Field. I'm living in dry old western NSW now, so seeing your beautiful photos was like a little drop of home. Put a smile on my face that's for sure. And great photography on your part, particularly of the skinks! they're quick little fellas!!

Thanks, all, for the comments. On another forum, the frog was identified as Crinia signifera.

Alison, you must know Deciduous Beech well from the Cradle Mountain area. Wow, what a change to live in the dry country of NSW!

My wife and I returned today to see the Deciduous Beech. The leaves had changed from yellow to orange and some of these had lost many leaves already. Here are a few pics:
tarnshelf1.jpg

tarnshelf4.jpg

tarnshelf3.jpg

tarnshelf2.jpg

There still were a few skinks active in the morning although they all disappeared when it became overcast.
SouthernSnowSkink1.jpg

MetallicSkink1.jpg

Regards,
David

absolutely stunning! Yes, very familiar with the deciduous beech. great to see entire slopes light up with the colours. Spring is worth a look too, alhtough not as stunning as autumn, the new growth on the beech is a lovely light green which contrasts nicely with a lot of the darker-foliaged alpine plants. If you havent had a chance yet, i'd recommend a visit to cradle mountain, the walk up to Crater Lake and/or Marions Lookout is fabulous this time of year.

very nice pics david, has a lot of colour in the scenery. nice little skinks to, how do you get the photos without them running, i usually see the small stuff when i hear it run so dont really get many good pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back