A friends female Diamond Python won't eat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon Muller

Reaction score
Hi snake lovers,I need help for a friend who has a male and female Diamond Python, they are in the same enclosure he has eaten but she is not eating and hasn't been for months! I suggested the vet but as he thinks he knows everything, he will not listen.I have even thought about "snake napping" her!!! any suggestions? He is not there sometimes so I can try and will try anything. But not live food.

It’s winter so they mostly won’t eat even if you throw all the food at them.

It’s also a bad practice to keep both in at same time, that snakes possibly gonna come out of brumation super hungry and first things it’s gonna go for is the snake that’s been eating yummy delicious rats and smells like yummy delicious rats

Thanks for your reply, they are a mating pair -together since birth and are BIG -fully grown and about 7 years old.The female hasn't eaten for about 8 months ?!Its skin is loose,it has been offered large rats and even smaller mice to tempt her but she won't take it. I wish he would take her to a vet because I think it will starve to death.

8 months without eating sounds like it should be going to the vet. 3 to maybe 6 months over winter and with eggs is probably not to much to worry about for a female but 8 sounds too long.

Thanks Chipewah, I said vet - its too long, she has stopped eating since been with this new owner, I dont know if snakes fret? but the previous owner never had any problems, the other owner only fed them live Guinea pigs omg! the male went on to rats but she hasn't. Maybe she wants the live food?? He said I could have them but 2, 6-7 foot long, big snakes! I think I will pass !!sometimes I think it would be better than with him but I couldn't look after them, I have pets and guinea pigs -no she can't have one. I wish he would just give them away-free to a good home etc, they are not happy with him -he has no idea and doesn't love them like an owner should -he thought he would get them-for free, and then sell them and make a big profit but people don't want 2 snakes that big. So they are just getting left in the cage. Poor things and they are so tame.The only reason the previous owner gave them away was he was getting married and moving and the new wife said "it's the snakes or me"! I would of taken the snakes especially since he had them from birth -how could he give them away-wish I had his number, I would let him know whats happening!!

Try thawing a rat and rubbing it on your pet guinea pig to get the rat to smell like a guinea pig

Lets start with some recent pics and see just how 'starved' this snake is.
Not eating for 8 month isn't good but it shouldn't be close to death, I have had Diamonds go far longer though they are generally very good feeders.

You might be wasting your time doing anything till Sept as its winter and as previously explained its breeding season. The past owner feeding live could well be the key factor here but its not impossible to get them eating thawed food it just takes time and patience.

Firstly the housing arrangements are wrong. They should be housed separately as previously explained. If thats not an option they should be fed separately. (Diamonds can be kept together successfully but even this species has history of cannibalism)

Secondly check that husbandry is appropriate for the species, especially temps and the period of time that heating is left on as its critical that this species is given ample opportunity to thermoregulate. Is the enclosure big enough that they actually have an area where they can get away from the heat? (Please dont tell me heat is on 24/7)

Do you know anyone who breeds rats or other rodents in your area? Im not suggesting live feeding Im suggesting fresh killed. Try rabbit, (Diamonds love rabbit), day old chicks etc. Depending on the area you live you may find a range of potential food is available to try but dont expect anything to change until Sept/Oct time.

I would suggest trying quail. Diamonds love them. I brought a two year old male which had only ever been fed live mice by the idiot I brought it off. Could not get him to take a rat for love nor money. After six months of this I tried him on a quail, took it straight away and now is fine. Still wont eat rats though, quails only. They are relatively easy to source these days. Make sure it is defrosted and warmed up in warm water in a zip loc bag so it retains its scent. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back