Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr.HerpKeeper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering what is the best snake for a beginner who has never kept a snake before.
Im interested in BHP's and Stimpsons Pythons but anything else is good to.:D

A good first snake is the one you want, but doing your research first is really important.

Stimpsons make good first snakes, Murray Darlings, maybe a Woma? Most hatchlings will be snappy, so possibly go for an older snake that you know is good to handle?

And in these articles (scroll to number 10) Doc Roc road tests pythons, have a read.

Reptile Husbandry Articles by Southern Cross Reptiles

Hey Jr. :)

The first thing I'd say is do plenty of research, write down some notes off websites and this forum on the basics your snake will need eg. enclosure, heating, where that particular specie comes from etc. No python's need UV either, accept Diamonds.

Any of the Antarisa are great first snakes as they're a small species these include Stimson's, Children's or Spotteds.

Last edited:
Like the others have said do your research as Im sure you have, my first and only snake is a stimsons python have had him for 6 years and have never had any dramas never bitten anyone and so easy to look after.

Thanks guys,
I had a look at the Souther Cross Reptiles article and the Antarisa group looked great, my personal favourite being the Spotted Python:D
Thanks again,
Jr.

I agree with the others, Antaresia are a great family of snakes (stimsons, spotteds, children's), though don't discount the womas. I've heard amazing things in terms of good temperament and easy feeding

I started with a bredli but after getting a woma I would put my vote in for them. The woma is so placid easy to handle and all in all just an amazing animal. It maybe a biased comment but womas are in my opinion the best snake for a pet.

I totally agree that any of the Antaresia make awesome first snakes. We have plenty available at our shop, The Reptile Outlet if that's any help. Not sure where you live! You'll find us at Shop 6, 1118 Oxley Road, Oxley. Qld. 4075. Feel free to phone me anytime between 10am - 6.00pm on (07) 3278 2888 if you need help.

Cheers, Joy
The Reptile Outlet
Shop 6, 1118 Oxley Road, Oxley. Qld. 4075.
Phone (07) 3278 2888

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back