Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyla

Reaction score
A few pics from one night of driving. Photos are in cronological order

Tropidonophis mairii (Keelback aka Freshwater Snake)

Boiga irregularis (Brown Tree Snake aka Night Tiger)

Pseudothecadactylus australis (Giant Tree Gecko)

Morelia spilota cheynei (Jungle Carpet Python)

Acanthophis praelongus (Northern Death Adder)

Enjoy

there some nice pics wish i could go herping i live neer penrith and dont know of any good places to go and i think its getting a lil cold to find anything anyway

That's a really nice North-Western Carpet :)

North western carpets occur in the North West, hence the name "North western carpet". Unless they drove from Cape York peninsula to Darwin in a night (which I'm not suggesting is impossible) that snake is probably from Nth Qld. Check the range for P. australis.

-H

Awesome pictures,BUT i beleive that jungle is a Darwin python.

I can't open the pictures into bigger versions so i haven't had a good look at the pics. I don't see why that carpet can't be a jungle. Just because it isn't black and gold and looks a little like a darwin doesn't instantly rule out it being a jungle. But it does look a bit like a darwin.

Im no expert but I would say that it is a cape york carpet, darwins might be hard to find in area where they dont live.

Nice pics...

I see you have man handled everything except the big carpet and the death adder...:lol:

Well they needed moving off the road so we could pass

Nephrurus nice detective work. The python was found in cape york peninsula along with everything else. Unless this python has slithered over 1000 km in its lifetime (highly unlikely), then it can't be a northwestern or darwin carpet.

Is a cape york carpet python different from a jungle python?

Last edited:
Awesome photos Thyla, that cheynei is awesome, just goes to show the variability of Morelia across their range...

I have heard in the past of some cheynei resembleing variegata very closley but have never seen photo's of the specimens...

Would be awesome to have something like that in my collection, would be difficult to convince people of its origns though...

Thanks for the great photos

Im no expert but I would say that it is a cape york carpet, darwins might be hard to find in area where they dont live.

I'm with you zack

there are a few cape yorks that look very close to darwins but having bold cream patterning. its stunning cape york

Last edited:
Well they needed moving off the road so we could pass

Nephrurus nice detective work. The python was found in cape york peninsula along with everything else. Unless this python has slithered over 1000 km in its lifetime (highly unlikely), then it can't be a northwestern or darwin carpet.

Is a cape york carpet python different from a jungle python?

depends who you speak to on that one and alot of people say cape york coastals are just coastals others say they are classed as cape york Jungles and others say that there are cape york jungles and cape york coastals depending on location they where found etc. huge debate has been going on for years on this matter.

Thyla

Where abouts exactly did this drive occur??????? This would help greatly when trying to determine species in pics. If it was in Cape York, where abouts. Its a big place

We left Coen somewhere around 6pm. Arrived at Jardine river crossing at about 11pm. It was an epic drive :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back