A Productive Evening

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as i have said before, you just have to give it a go. it doesn't matter if you don't like the look, you can always just paint over it. thanks for the feed back tho, i am pretty keen to get this finished, so then i can start the next project :p

can't wait to see what you have been working on

Funny how you always seem to be thinking about the 'next one' - my next one is all designed and thought out and it will certainly be "different" :) and the one after that is still in the ideas tank. I started painting mine - drybrushing - yesterday but had visitors today so it got stalled yet again. But it's getting closer at long last.

I notice you are a member of the DIY Group, can you please start a 'discussion' in there and link to your thread here, we have nearly 300 members but there only seems to be a handfull of us that post in there, and we keep it to specifically enclosure decorating rather than thermostats etc, and it seems to be the go to place to find info on all things foam and backgrounds so your addition will be well visited.

Last edited:
ok, so tonight i just finished the painting. i am really excited. I now have to make a heat panel and wire it up, get some glass cut and make some front panels, but that is all the easy stuff.

so on tonight's painting session, i started off with a reasonably heavy coat of a dark grey ideally i should have used a darker shade
P1000484.JPGP1000483.JPG

then i did a lighter coat of a lighter grey
P1000488.JPGP1000489.JPG
then another coat of an even lighter grey, then some white to highlight high points (use white sparingly)
P1000494.JPGP1000491.JPGP1000500.jpg
so as you can see, you can see some of the undercoat of colors through the finish.
now just to give the rock a Forrest moss look, i mixed some green 'ink' and applied it in strategic places

ok, the attachments thing has just stopped working, will post a picture of the ink up at a later date

my only regret is i think i have gone too light with my color choice so now it looks really bright, may attempt to darken it later

cheers
josh

Last edited:
Thats crazy detail there Treg. Got me thinking about stepping up my game.

just a quick question about Sealers, i need to seal this now to make cleaning easier, there has been a lot of talk about a product called pondtite, would this be appropriate for this situation?

I'm personally addicted to the stuff, makes cleaning an absolute breeze, the downside is that it has a shine to it, not high gloss but it's still shiney, my best advice 4 thin layers, it ( the clear) goes on like water and dries very quick - especially in front of a fire! Then when it's dry position your light where it will be fitted and see where the shine is and give a gentle rub with either very fine sandpaper or steelwool (normally found under the sandpaper at bunnings ) that way the bits you won't see are still shiney and urine repellent but the bits you do see look more natural. I've wimped out and bought some of the removable bits inside to drybrush, it's hailing outside :p
PS: I think I might have started the pondtite thing, maybe I should hit bondall up for some freebies for all the extra sales I've encouraged :)

Last edited:
PS: I think I might have started the pondtite thing, maybe I should hit bondall up for some freebies for all the extra sales I've encouraged :)

definitely, the amount of pondtite they would have sold to reptile enthusiasts would definitively calls for a few freebies

wow, great work.... the painting is the bit i really really dread. Your looks amazing. Jax i agree bondall and the acryllic render people owe you some $$$ or free product lol.

Treg BTW keep an eye on my thread im going to need your help LMAO

Cmon Treg, where's the finished product ! You should have Sam all moved in by now :)

wow thats a fantastic paint job. cant wait to see what the whole thing looks like. we are going to attempt to create and paint our rock wall this weekend for our jungle. if it looks half as good as yours i'll be stoked

Cmon Treg, where's the finished product ! You should have Sam all moved in by now :)

yea, i was going to buy some sealer, but then i dropped my iphone, a few hundred in repairs, and i am screwed untill i get my tax return :(

:shock: dropped your iPhone ! i'd be horrified. half my posts are done via my iphone. fingers crossed you get back on track soon.

see......... so many things can cause a stall with these projects and lack of money is often a big one. Not that these things are expensive to do but when you need a pot of paint and it would stretch your budget that little bit too far then it has to wait.

yea, i was going to buy some sealer, but then i dropped my iphone, a few hundred in repairs, and i am screwed untill i get my tax return :(

did you get it fixed yet? i have a friend in the northern suburbs that fixes them pm me if you r interested, he's pretty cheap. im not privileged enough for an iphone, i just get the kids old phones when they get newies lol. Money always gets in the way.

Jax a question about pondtite, does it keep? if i buy the 4lt one this time, the leftovers will last til the next job?

Yes it seems to, I don't know how it would cope longterm in the shed at 40c but I've got a 4 Litre here that I've had pre Xmas 2010 and it seems fine so far. It's amazing stuff it goes on thin so you dont actually use a lot of it at a time, even with 4 coats. Although I think this project will use a fair bit, it's not a tiny tank lol

i just thaught i would share this
P1000506.JPG
It is sad :(

oh, and here are the pics of the rocks i said i would upload, just after the green ink
P1000501.JPGP1000503.JPG

I can't wait to see the entire thing with plant etc,
As for your phone.... What did you do to shatter it like that! Run over it a few times ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back