A quick question about heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procreate

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My friend and i were talking about the heating in the enclosure for my spotted python. I have a heatcord under the flooring in the enclosure and a thermostat set to 32. He said that i shouldn't have the heat on in summer but im pretty sure that they need the ability to reach the heat all year round. As long as the temp at the other end is cool it will be fine to leave the heat on right?

Heat in summer. Just because the thermostat is set to 32 doesn't mean you are getting 32. Always use a thermometer of some sort.

Yes, but you need to watch the heat in the other end, that it is not getting too hot.

I'm not so sure about heat cords, but when using heat lamps (CHEs would be the same) in the summer it can increase the temps in the cool end as well.

In our old house with no aircon I used to have my heating switched off most of the time, as ambient temps were high enough as it was.

I am planning on buying a dual probed thermometer as well and placing that in there to check temps at both ends.

Also what is an appropriate cool end temp..? 26 degrees? Or too low?

24-26 I think is the norm, but if it gets cooler than that it isn't a big problem, as the animal will just move to where it wants to be.

Yea thats what i thought. I will just get the thermometer to check the ambient temps at either end and all will be good. Thanks

Sometimes my cool end is up to 28 in summer. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems with my south western carpet pythons. I monitor the cool end, but I'm not too worried about it as I haven't seen the reptile room get over 30 in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back