A Silly Question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eryx

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I feel so embarrassed to ask, but being a newbie (doing as much research as I can before I purchase a snake in a few months), I just have this nagging question..

Would a snake think of pet cats as food? My fiance has two beloved 2 year old cats. We're just wondering how 1) a snake would react to the cats peering at the snake in its enclosure, 2) how a snake would react to the cats if the snake got loose (would it be more likely that the cats would injure the snake, rather than vice versa?, and will it depend on how hungry the snake is?)... and 3) if I went to handle the snake after handling the cats (if I didn't wash my hands) and their smell was on my skin and clothes, would the snake smell a tasty furry warm-blooded creature and try to bite?

Our cats spend the majority of their lives outside, and after the initial inspection of what's happening in that 'big see-through box' they would quickly lose interest, I'm sure, unless I decided to put a handful of butterflies or moths in the enclosure, rather than a snake!

FYI, I am planning to purchase a Bredli.

Thanks for any advice! :D

-eryx

Chances are, you wouldn't have any problems. Snake probably wouldn't react much at all if cat was just looking. Might try to strike at glass if cat was moving around a lot, but I doubt it. If snake got out, chances are, cats would do more damage to it, than other way around. Once snake is big enough, it's possible that it might treat cat as prey, but not very likely if it's well fed. Snakes usually "imprint" on prey types fairly early. I still have trouble getting my female olive to eat rats, because she's used to mice. As far as not washing hands, or having scent of cat on you, I would strongly advise to wash hands, but not so much to avoid getting bit. More to avoid passing germ or parasite to snake, or getting same from snake. My snakes have never seemed to concerned with the cat or dog smell on my clothes or otherwise.

To sum up, no guarantees, but shouldn't be any big deal.

Hello Eryx, I?m in a similar situation to you, I?ve got a Brisbane costal carpet python that?s 14 months old, that?s if the 6month old date given to me when I brought her is correct I?ve had her 8 months.
I think minimum selling age legally is 6 months or that?s what I was told so Id expect to be give the 6 months of age line weather it was true or not.
Anyway back to the topic, we have 2, 4 or 5 year old female cats (sisters) and they definitely do have an interest in the snake tank, if they see the python moving about, there all over the tank trying to look or get in and up until a month ago I used to leave the hood open on the top of the tank to let fresh air in there, the tank has a wooden hood that covers the whole top of the tank and under that is a nylon screen door type thing sitting over the tank.
In the night the cats on a couple of occasions have got up on the tank hood while it was open and tried to get at the python, on the last occasion she or they managed to tear the nylon screen right open and to my suprise the snake was unharmed (she probably hid in her icecream container hide) nor did she escape.
Needless to say I?ve left the hood down at night ever since as I have no doubt at this time that the cats would "go to town" on my darling costal if given the chance.
So if I were you Id secure the enclosure as well as possible, the python doesnt seem to mind the cats standing up and looking into the tank, but at her age I doubt she would have much of a chance if they got at her.
The tables will turn at some point im sure but at the moment my python is an endangered species if the cats have there way...

OZ

Hey Oz, here's a tip. Get some mice. Cat's will forget all about snake once they have mice tank to entertain them. :D

First the minimum selling age.... well there is none (as far as i know). the 6 month is the amount of time you have to keep a reptile after recieving it, before re-selling. this is to prevent someone going into buisness buying and selling herps for profit.

As to the snakes, the bigger issue would be the cats hurting the snake if the snake escaped. Unless the cat's are really tiny, I can't see a 2 meter bredli chowing down. simple solution - escape proof cage :)

None of my snakes have ever reacted to my cats standing next to the cage, even batting at the glass. One time a young coastal escaped overnight, easily small enough to be taken by my cats, but they defend themselves suprisingly well!! My cat was being very wary when i found them together.. i think he may have been hit a few times hehe :)

It really should not be too much of an issue for you :)

Here's my experience with a six foot female Coastal and my large cat:

I had the snake in a 4 foot reptarium outside on the table and the cat jumped up on the table to investigate :) after sitting quietly alongside the reptarium for about five minutes watching the snake move around he,the cat, decided to give her a little sniff. At this point the snake decided it didn't want to be sniffed and struck at the cat :) Well I've never seen anything so funny in all my life as the cat sprang at least three feet in the air and landed at the other end of the table sending cups, glasses, coffee, coke and biscuits all over the back yard, I am laughing as I type this even, it was that funny :) The end result of this is that the cat now approaches the reptariums very cautiously even when they are empty :) If one is occupied he seems to have imposed his own six foot radius "no-go" zone :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a beautiful story Afrifishy!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love it! :lol:

Africancichlidau, that is absolutely hilarious! :lol:

Thanks for the story-telling everyone; I couldn't really forsee a major problem keeping cats and snakes, just the main issue being keeping a tight lid fastened to the enclosure, and washing myself up after handling the cats, as Almaron brought up a point I hadn't yet thought about (transmitting parasites, etc. to the snake, and vice versa).

-eryx

eryx, I find the product "Big Apple Herpetological Barrier Cream" excellent and I always use it when handling my snake. It's not cheep as barrier creams go but it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back